Fair Enough Man Burned By Hot Food While Praying Can't Sue Eatery

A New Jersey appellate court says a man cannot seek damages for burns he suffered while bowing his head in prayer over a sizzling steak fajita skillet at a restaurant.

  • Published:
24/7 Live - Subscribe to the Pulse Newsletter!

A New Jersey man who was burned by a plate of hot fajitas while dining at Applebee’s can’t sue the restaurant over his injuries, according to an appellate court.

Hiram Jimenez sought damages from Applebee's Neighborhood Grill and Bar after a March 2010 incident at the chain's restaurant on Burlington-Mount Holly Road. But an appellate panel said Applebee's can't be held responsible because the hot food posed an "open and obvious" danger, the US Todays reports.

According to the ruling, Jimenez ordered fajitas that were placed in front of him in a "sizzling skillet." When he bowed his head "close to the table," the ruling says, Jimenez heard "a loud sizzling noise, followed by 'a pop noise' and then felt a burning sensation in his left eye and on his face."

In an incident report prepared for Appelebee's, Jimenez said he was burned on his face, neck and arms after "grease popped" on the fajitas.

His lawsuit said a waitress did not warn Jimenez that the dish was hot. It argued Jimenez suffered "serious and permanent" injuries "solely as a result of (Applebee's) negligence when he came in contact with a dangerous and hazardous condition, specifically, 'a plate of hot food'."

A trial judge dismissed the suit, finding Applebee's — a California-based chain with more than 1,900 restaurants — was not required to warn Jimenez "against a danger that is open and obvious."

Jimenez appealed, but a two-judge panel came to the same conclusion.

It noted business owners are required to "discover and eliminate dangerous conditions, to maintain the premises in safe condition and to avoid creating conditions that would render the premises unsafe."

But it said the risk posed by the hot platter was "self-evident." Applebee's, the ruling said, "had no duty to warn (Jimenez) that the food was sizzling hot and should be approached with due care."

An attorney for Jimenez, Richard Wiener of Conshohocken, declined to comment. A lawyer for Applebee's could not be reached.

Do you ever witness news or have a story that should be featured on Pulse Ghana?
Submit your stories, pictures and videos to us now via WhatsApp: +233507713497, Social Media @pulseghana: #PulseEyewitness & DM or Email: eyewitness@pulse.com.gh.

Recommended Articles

Recommended Videos




Top Articles

1 Surprise!!! Cleaner returns Ghs 27,839 she found in airport toiletbullet
2 Embarrassing! Pastor flogged in public for impregnating 10-year-old girlbullet
3 Video Man kills lover, stuffs corpse in bucket to dump in refuse bin...bullet
4 Mob Injustice Suspected thief burnt alive by angry residentsbullet
5 How? 4-year-old- boy in court for kissing 3-year-old classmatebullet
6 Fraud Pastor jailed after he took money from people to make...bullet
7 Amazing!!! This 71-year-old woman says she is six months...bullet
8 Disability Isn’t Inability Deaf couple's marriage...bullet
9 Betrayal Police wife tells Soldier husband that 2 of his...bullet
10 Bumper Harvest This woman is making millions from the...bullet

Top Videos

1 Sad Man kills lover, stuffs corpse in bucket to dump in refuse binbullet
2 Bestiality Dog owner sues model who seduced his dog until it ejaculatedbullet
3 Slay Queen Drama Facebook slay queen's nude video resurfacesbullet
4 Homosexuality Ghanaian lesbian says she sleeps with 10 women everydaybullet
5 Amazing 9-year-old girl born without hands wins best handwriting...bullet
6 Testimony My husband is 'splitting' me in bed having used...bullet
7 Video Woman sues boyfriend for failing to satisfy her during...bullet
8 Interesting Deadly snake removed from company's stovebullet
9 Video This man lets cars run over him, breaks nails with...bullet
10 Sex Doll First Sex doll brothel opens in Germanybullet

Filla