In Georgia Student looses her skin after bad reaction to anti-seizure drug

Khaliah Shaw, 24, a graduate from Georgia College and State University, was on medication and her doctor increased the dosage in 2013. But after a few days she became seriously ill.

  • Published:
24/7 Live - Subscribe to the Pulse Newsletter!

These pictures show the devastating effects of a student’s allergic reaction to a common anti-seizure drug.

Khaliah Shaw, 24, a graduate from Georgia College and State University, was on medication and her doctor increased the dosage in 2013. But after a few days she became seriously ill.

In the end, she lost 90 per cent of her skin, her finger nails, her hair and the majority of her sight.

But she lost 90 per cent of her skin after it started to peel off.

At first she was diagnosed with flu, but two days later she woke up with her mouth covered in blisters and the skin of her upper body falling off.

She wrote about her ordeal and the condition known as Stevens-Johnson Syndrome in a blog  and how it affected her life.

Khaliah had her final corrective surgery in August last year and she wrote: ‘It still haunts me to think about everything they did to me while I was in the hospital.

‘I can still hear the IV machines beeping and I can still taste that disgusting crap they put in my feeding tube that made me PUKE every single time. I never want to end up in the burn unit EVER again. There are still things I avoid to this day because it reminds me of that time.’

Now her hair is growing back and pigment is returning to her skin.

Recommended Articles

Recommended Videos