The Medical and Dental Council closed down Obengfo Hospital in January this year following claims that it was operating illegally.
Pulse.com.gh can confirm that medical services continue uninterrupted at the Obengfo Hospital in Weija despite reports of it being closed down earlier this year for operating illegally.
At a visit to the hospital, about three patients were seen at the Out Patients Department waiting for treatment.
Receptionists and a few nurses were also busily attending to patients.
As a new-comer at the facility, I approached one of the receptionists and asked to meet the owner and general doctor of the hospital, Dr Obeng Andoh.
The receptionist indicated that I would have to pay a 100 cedis for a hospital card in order to be given an appointment to meet with the doctor.
There is therefore no denying the fact that Dr Obeng Andoh is still practising despite reports that he was not certified to do so.
It will be recalled that the Medical and Dental Council closed down Obengfo Hospital in January this year with plans to completely evacuate patients who were undergoing treatment at the facility.
The closure on Thursday [January 27] was the second in legal action against the facility after the council revoked the license of its CEO, Dr. Obeng-Andoh in 2013 for operating illegally.
This follows complaints by some patients that they were having complications after visiting the plastic surgery section of the hospital, that is, the Advance Body Sculpture Centre.
The Medical and Dental Council subsequently looked into the allegations and came out with the conclusion that the facility's CEO Dr Dominic Obeng Andoh is not a certified surgeon and is, therefore, practising illegally.
But Dr Obeng Andoh insisted that he was trained in cosmetic surgery in Florida, the USA for two weeks and was awarded a certificate.
He said his hospital was locked down without a warrant.
But some four months down the lane, operations have begun in earnest at the hospital.
When Pulse.com.gh contacted the Registrar of the Medical and Dental Council, Dr. Eli Atikpui, he said “unfortunately I wouldn’t want to make any comment on this particular issue for now...the reason I’m saying that is that I currently don’t have a board in place. It is an issue to be considered by the Board. And therefore when my Board is constituted then the Board will give directives as to what next.”
On his part, the Public Relations Officer of the Ministry of Health, Robert Cudjoe said that he is not aware that the hospital is still operating, adding that “we will crosscheck and find out if they are still running.”