"The most important thing in this world that we all NEED and have to give is LOVE and it is not for sale, its free and beautiful", Ghanaian actress, Luckie Gyan Lawson.
Ghanaian actress, Luckie Gyan Lawson is on cover of the Giovanna Magazine.
In an exclusive interview with the lifestyle magazine, the Ewe born Luckie Lawson married to Michael Gyan in 2009 reflect on life experience before fame, her struggles, the impact of her sweet mother, the Ghanaian movie industry (Ghollywood), and tithing amongst others.
Read the full interview below:
1. Everybody and perhaps most successful personalities across the world have its own unique motivating story before success, what is your own story Luckie?
Where I came from, as a child has been my greatest source of motivation. I shared a living room with 7 other kids with no bed and sometimes no food. Whatever fruit was in season I sold, then at night I would sell kelewele and fried yam. I remember this like it was yesterday. Times were very hard, and then my Great Grandmother came, I don't think God makes people like her anymore, the love ... Oooo the love my Nana gave ... She said, "The most important thing in this world that we all NEED and have to give is LOVE and it is not for sale, its free and beautiful." That's what helped us out of the situation we were in.
2. Still talking about uniqueness, what is the uniqueness in the brand Luckie Lawson?
I worked and still am working hard to get to where I am.... No short cut.
3. 5 Things the world never knew or heard about Luckie Lawson?
Hmmm 5 things the world never knew about me. 1 I used to sell pure water on the street 2. Wanted to be a football player when I was 9 3. Was a tomboy and fight a lot4. My tithe goes to the needy not the church 5. Hmmm still not ready to share that yet
4. I’d like to call you Luckie Lawson Gyan Success! You have managed to achieve a successful career as a businesswoman, an actress and as a wife, how did you do it and how have you been able to manage the three entities together?
Am blessed with a beautiful family that I think all the credits should go to. My mom has been the pillar of life for me and I wish I am half the woman as she is. My husband for making me strong and my kids for giving me back life. God has been good to me.
5. How does it feel to be a mother? What has been your major challenge raising them and doing what you do as a big screen personality?
My major challenge is to not fail them as a mother; (teaching them just the pillars of life) is not all. Teaching them to love God and be selfless, give what you been given by God to those who need it. Work hard and take nothing for granted even the air we breathe.
6. Describe your husband in 3 words?
Crazy Sexy, Cool
7. I read it somewhere, where you allegedly said, “you will never allow your daughter to take after your acting career”, is that true? May we ask why and what direction would you like her to take?
Lol.. I didn't say that on a bad note. Every parent wants their children to be better than them. I want them to be bigger than me, change life, and make a difference in life more than I'm trying to do. I can only wish but Only God knows the future. I’m only here to guide them.
8. Describe the Ghana movie industry with a sentence?
We are one of the most creative people in the world but we lack financial support.
9. What do you think the industry needs to do to be able to pitch its tent with the very best in the world?
We need support from the companies in our country and Government. Branding of the Artist, making them brand ambassadors... Our country can do a lot but they rather....
10. Some say the Ghana movie industry lacks content and promotes nudity, do you agree with them? Tell us more
Well, there was a time that the trend of movies coming out of Africa had so much nudity not just Ghana that made me a little sad. The viewers didn't take; they spoke against it because it was losing the family values that we held high. Now we back on track with the movies that educate society 'like cotton twines" "The Cursed one" and many fantastic movies.
11. What is happening with the brand Luckie Lawson at the moment and what should the world expect in the year 2017?
I needed a little time for my family and business and plan well. As to where I want to stand in the movie industry, 2017 is going to be beautiful, we still on set of my company’s upcoming TV series "HAUNTED." I’m blessed with a beautiful cast and crew. And we have 2 movies that are in Preproduction stage.
12. You look younger everyday and still maintain a fantastic body figure with two children Luckie, what is your secret? What does eating well means to you?
Hahahah thank you, Laughing and happiness keeps the mind, body and soul young. I LOOOVVVEEE cooking, it makes me happy. I try to eat well... it is hard when you have over 30 different amazing African food in front of you 7 days a week lol. I should start a cooking book and show lol..
13. Your best 5 African music stars?
1. Stone; boy my baby brother very humble man2. EL3. Kofi Kinataa4. Shatta Wale5. Becca 6. Efia7. Sonnie Badu8. Tekno
14. Lets rewind back your age, assuming you are younger, single, and presented with the chance to hit on one music artist in Africa and one in America, who would that be and what is it about them that turns you on? Kojo AntwiMarvin Gaye
15. Your advice to young girls who aspired to take after you or wished to be a successful movie star?
Education is very very very important. Self love, where you love yourself, putting self first without pride but with humility and trust so that no one can take advantage of you and work on your crafts read on it embody the craft.
16. How do you plan to celebrate your birthday come 23 of January?
Spend it with the needy kids
17. What is your New Year resolution?
Get closer to God and be a better person than I was in 2016
18. Message to your fans worldwide
To all the young ladies put your education first, work hard then you play hardI LOVE YOU. And LIFE IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT.