Brussels attacks Belgium officials admit security lapses over attacks

The two ministers offered to resign Thursday but was turned down by Prime Minister Charles Michel, who ask them to stay on.

  • Published:
24/7 Live - Subscribe to the Pulse Newsletter!

Belgium's justice and interior ministers admitted in separate interviews Thursday that authorities failed to act on a request by Turkey to take custody of a Belgian Citizen arrested for suspected terrorist activity last year.

The admissions by justice minister, Koen Geens, and interior minister, Jan Jambon, came after the bombing on Tuesday.

“What’s essential in the story is that with the passing on of the information from Turkey and with the passing on of the information within Belgium, we have been slower than one could have expected under those circumstances,” Mr. Geens said on Flemish television in Belgium. “So, the information was passed on, but we have not been diligent, or probably not diligent enough.”

Mr. Jambon said in an interview with Le Soir newspaper that there had been “Two types of mistakes, at the level of the Justice Ministry and at the level of the liaison officer in Turkey, which involves the Interior and Justice ministries.”

The two ministers offered to resign Thursday but were turned down by Prime Minister Charles Michel, who asked them to stay on.

"In time of war, you cannot leave the field," Jambon, a right-wing Flemish nationalist, said.

Two explosions occurred on Tuesday March  21 in the departure hall of the Zaventem airport and a metro substation in Brussels that claimed the lives of 31 people and injured many.

The Islamic State (IS) group said it was behind the attacks in a statement issued on the IS-linked Amaq agency.

Meanwhile, 6 people were arrested in Brussels yesterday in relation to Tuesday’s attacks.The arrests were made in the Schaerbeek district. Their identities have not been made public yet by authorities.

Do you ever witness news or have a story that should be featured on Pulse Ghana?
Submit your stories, pictures and videos to us now via WhatsApp: +233507713497, Social Media @pulseghana: #PulseEyewitness & DM or Email: eyewitness@pulse.com.gh.

Recommended Articles

Recommended Videos





Top Articles

1 Fraud Three Ghanaians arrested over £5million romance fraudbullet
2 Ghana Armed Forces GAF announces date for 2017/18 recruitment screeningbullet
3 Adult Content We will continue showing porn on TV - Ice TVbullet
4 Freemasonry Here are prominent Ghanaians who are also freemasonsbullet
5 Ghana Police Service IGP reshuffles top officersbullet
6 Sex Workers Chinese prostitutes invade Wassa Akropong; charge...bullet
7 National Service New allowance will be paid after 2017...bullet
8 Volta Region FDA says Kpando residents knew consuming...bullet
9 Kofi Opoku Manu Former Ashanti Regional Minister is deadbullet
10 Ghana Police New IGP makes first shake-up in Police...bullet

Top Videos

1 Video Four suspects arrested for Captain Mahama's deathbullet
2 Prophecy Hundreds will die in floods in 2017 – Prophet revealsbullet
3 WATCH Kennedy Agyapong dances wildly to hip hop song in hilarious videobullet

News