Trial Bishop Obinim’s case adjourned to July 31

  • Published: , Refreshed:
Bishop Daniel Obinim, owner of Obinim TV station play

Bishop Daniel Obinim, owner of Obinim TV station

(Facebook)

When the case was called, Bishop Obinim was not present but sent a representative who told the court that he was indisposed.

24/7 Live - Subscribe to the Pulse Newsletter!

The Accra High Court hearing the case in which the head pastor of the International Godsway Ministries, Bishop Daniel Obinim, is standing trial for causing harm to Kwame Ntim Okatakyie, yesterday adjourned proceedings to July 31, 2015 to enable the Attorney-General’s (AG’s) Department to respond to an address filed by counsel for the accused.

When the case was called, Bishop Obinim was not present but sent a representative who told the court that he was indisposed.

The court, on July 15, 2015, had directed the defence to file an address but to the surprise of the judge, defence counsel, Mr Samuel Atta Akyea, said the address had been filed on July 9, 2015.

Judge angry

This infuriated the judge as to why the address had been filed but he had not been properly informed by the court clerks.
“You cannot behave like this. See me in chambers,” the apparently unhappy judge told the clerk.

Justice Abdulai Iddrisu, therefore, adjourned the case to enable the AG’s Department to make their response following which a date would be fixed for the ruling.

The judge had previously discharged two associate pastors of the International Godsway Ministries for want of prosecution.

Pastors Kingsley Baah and Kofi Kwetey were standing trial with Bishop Daniel Obinim for allegedly vandalising the property of an Accra-based radio station, Hot FM.

The two were let off the hook while their Head Pastor, Bishop Daniel Obinim, was asked to open his defence on causing harm to Kwame Ntim Okatakyie, three years ago.

Bishop Obinim was, however, discharged on seven counts of causing unlawful damage, unlawful entry and conspiracy to commit assault. The trial judge said the state had failed to prove that the three suspects conspired to commit assault.

He said there was no evidence before him that the suspects unlawfully entered the studio premises. Lack of evidence Justice Iddrisu said the state did not lead evidence to show that the suspects were the ones who caused unlawful damage to the property of the station. He noted that the evidence showed there was confusion at the studio, making it unclear who actually caused damage to the studio equipment.

The judge further dismissed the charges against Bishop Obinim because the alleged victims failed to appear in court to give evidence.

It would be recalled that Okatakyie, in his evidence-in- chief, alleged that he was assaulted by Bishop Obinim and had to seek treatment in France. The accused persons reportedly vandalised property, including transmitters and amplifiers, estimated at GH₵130,580.

Credit: graphic.com.gh

Do you ever witness news or have a story that should be featured on Pulse Ghana?
Submit your stories, pictures and videos to us now via WhatsApp: +233507713497, Social Media @pulseghana: #PulseEyewitness & DM or Email: eyewitness@pulse.com.gh.

Recommended Articles

Recommended Videos




Top Articles

1 Freemasonry Here are prominent Ghanaians who are also freemasonsbullet
2 Adult Content We will continue showing porn on TV - Ice TVbullet
3 Ashaiman 5 armed robbers jailed 30 years eachbullet
4 Road safety Ghana records over 2000 road accidents in 2017bullet
5 New Chief Justice Sophia Akuffo is a distant relative of...bullet
6 Confession This is the real story behind Atta Ayi's arrestbullet
7 Illegal Drugs Ghana leads Africa in marijuana use; ranks 3rd...bullet
8 Gitmo Case Supreme Court declares Gitmo 2 in Ghana...bullet
9 Photos Nana Addo’s daughters throw him a birthday partybullet
10 Security Recruitment Prisons Service cleared to...bullet

News