Borussia Dortmund Germany probes new message claiming responsibility for attack on club

German prosecutors said Saturday they were examining a third claim of responsibility for blasts that rocked Borussia Dortmund's team bus, but no new suspects have yet emerged.

  • Published:
A heavy police presence on April 12, 2017, near the Westfalenstadion stadium ahead of Borussia Dortmund's quarter-final clash against Monaco play

A heavy police presence on April 12, 2017, near the Westfalenstadion stadium ahead of Borussia Dortmund's quarter-final clash against Monaco

(AFP/File)
24/7 Live - Subscribe to the Pulse Newsletter!

German prosecutors said Saturday they were examining a third claim of responsibility for blasts that rocked Borussia Dortmund's team bus, but no new suspects have yet emerged.

With Dortmund players due back on the pitch in Germany's premier league, the Bundesliga, police are pursuing leads in their probe of Tuesday's attack that left Spanish international Marc Bartra and a policeman injured.

Three bombs containing pieces of metal detonated minutes after the bus left the team's hotel for a Champions League match against Monaco.

The Tagesspiegel daily revealed it had received the new claim, apparently from far-right circles, railing against multi-culturalism, saying it had been behind the triple blast and threatening another attack.

"We have the letter claiming responsibility. We are examining it," said Frauke Koehler, spokeswoman for federal prosecutors, referring to the email received by Tagesspiegel.

Several such claims have already been investigated without any breakthrough.

Three identical letters found close to the site had initially suggested an Islamist link, but questions have arisen about the authenticity of that claim.

A sole suspect -- an Iraqi man -- taken into custody over the Islamist link has since been cleared of involvement and a second claim purporting to be from the far-left was made online, but prosecutors cast doubt on it.

Separately Welt daily quoted unnamed security sources saying that the explosives may stem from army stock.

Technical expertise is required to handle the detonator, which is not easily obtained, added the sources.

A spokeswoman from the federal crime bureau BKA would not confirm the report, saying it was "much too early" to pinpoint the origin of the explosives.

"The investigations are continuing in all directions and are running at full-speed", she said, adding that about 100 officers were participating in the probe.

Dortmund players were badly shaken by the attack, but nevertheless played their delayed first leg quarter-final match against Monaco on Wednesday, losing 3-2 to the French club.

Bartra, who had to undergo a wrist operation, left hospital on Saturday, but will be out of action for about four weeks.

The club's chief executive Hans-Joachim Watzke said he thought about pulling Dortmund out of the Champions League following the attack before resolving to not cede to the bombers.

"I briefly asked myself if we shouldn't withdraw completely from the competition, but that would have been a victory for those responsible for the attack," he told Saturday's edition of Spiegel weekly.

The team is hosting Eintracht Frankfurt in the Bundesliga on Saturday, when six other league games are being played under heightened security.

Dortmund had urged fans to turn up early due to security checks, and asked them to avoid bringing bags or backpacks.

Recommended Articles

Recommended Videos





Top Articles

1 Mariama Sannie Exclusive photos of Kwesi Nyantakyi's second wedded wifebullet
2 Video Ex-Black Stars XI shares the spoils with Asamoah Gyan XIbullet
3 Video Kwesi Nyantakyi marries second wife in secret weddingbullet
4 Inside Story Emmanuel Adebayor reveals how his family stopped his...bullet
5 Benjamin Henrichs Germany Confederations Cup winner Henrinchs...bullet
6 Benjamin Henrichs Youngster explains why he chose Germany over...bullet
7 Ghanaian Players Abroad China offer was too good to reject –...bullet
8 Black Stars Kwesi Appiah visits Gideon Baah at training in...bullet
9 Cristiano Ronaldo Real Madrid superstar confirms he's...bullet
10 Mavis Appiah See photos of the only female coach of a...bullet

Top Videos

1 Video Jose Mourinho refused requests to replace red carded Valenciabullet
2 Video Ghanaians in Italy wail after footballer allegedly murdered mumbullet
3 Video Ghanaian footballer refuses to tell police why he murdered familybullet
4 Video Look inside Asamoah Gyan's $1m luxurious Mercedes Benzbullet
5 On the move Michael Essien joins Persib Bandung in Indonesiabullet
6 Video Watch Richmond Boakye Yiadom's brace in the UEFA Europa...bullet
7 Video Watch Richmond Boakye Yiadom's brace for Red Star Belgradebullet
8 Video Highlights of ex-Black Stars XI 1-1 draw against Gyan XIbullet
9 Hearts 1-0 Kotoko This footage vindicates referee Samuel...bullet

Football