Football Football: CAS rejects Sion president's call to suspend TV pundit attack ban

The Court of Arbitration for Sport said Saturday it had rejected a request from Swiss club Sion's president to suspend his nine-month ban for hitting a television pundit, setting a new hearing in the case.

  • Published:
Constantin's assault of former Swiss coach turned TV consultant Rolf Fringer last September initially earned him a one-year suspension. play

Constantin's assault of former Swiss coach turned TV consultant Rolf Fringer last September initially earned him a one-year suspension.

(AFP/File)
24/7 Live - Subscribe to the Pulse Newsletter!

The Court of Arbitration for Sport said Saturday it had rejected a request from Swiss club Sion's president to suspend his nine-month ban for hitting a television pundit, setting a new hearing in the case.

"CAS rejects the suspension request," the international sports court said in a statement.

Christian Constantin's assault of former Swiss coach turned TV consultant Rolf Fringer last September initially earned him a one-year suspension, reduced by three months on appeal.

Both Constantin, 61, and Sion lodged an appeal against the sanction, which was accompanied by a fine, reduced from 85,000 euros ($100,000) to 25,700 euros on appeal.

Then last month, they requested "the overturning of the decision taken by the Swiss Football League's appeals court" in December.

"This request was rejected yesterday," CAS said in Saturday's statement.

Instead, the sports court said it had "summoned the parties to a hearing on February 13, 2018."

Geneva lawyer Olivier Carrard had been appointed as the sole arbitrator in the case, it added.

While rejecting the call to suspend the previous ruling, CAS said Carrard would have maintain the possibility to do so during the hearing later this month.

Video captured at the September 21 match in Lugano, which Sion won 2-1, shows Constantin striking Fringer while he is already on the ground.

Fringer, who managed the national side in the 1990s, told Swiss media that Constantin had in fact struck him several times before the blow that was caught on tape.

Do you ever witness news or have a story that should be featured on Pulse Ghana?
Submit your stories, pictures and videos to us now via WhatsApp: +233507713497, Social Media @pulseghana: #PulseEyewitness & DM or Email: eyewitness@pulse.com.gh.

Recommended Articles

Recommended Videos




Top Articles

1 Breaking News Ghana's President orders for the arrest of Kwesi Nyantakyibullet
2 GFA Here is why the President ordered the arrest of Kwesi Nyantakyibullet
3 Anas Exposé 6 photos of Countryman Songo that could be his perfect...bullet
4 GFA Here’s how much jail term Kwesi Nyantakyi could get for...bullet
5 Number 12 CID picks up Nyantakyi at the Kotoko International Airportbullet
6 Ghana Football Association John Mahama prevented us from...bullet
7 GFA President Five key facts about Kwesi Nyantakyi’s arrest...bullet
8 Anas Exposé Nyantakyi confirms he will return to Ghana to...bullet
9 Arrest Order FIFA can't jump into Kwesi Nyantakyi's...bullet
10 Anas exposé CID issues statement on Kwesi Nyantakyibullet

Top Videos

1 Video Watch how Essien and his Chelsea legends suffered 4-1 defeatbullet
2 Watch how Ghanaian youngster tore Barca's unbeaten run apartbullet
3 Video Watch the highlights of new Black Stars wonder kidbullet
4 The Real News with Akrobeto goes International, shows on Real...bullet
5 Didier Drogba Chelsea legend jams to Stonebwoy and Asamoah...bullet
6 Watch the six-goal thriller between Aduana Stars and Rajabullet
7 Video Watch highlights and goals of Black Stars new sensationbullet
8 Long Shot Michael Essien's favourite goal for Chelseabullet
9 New Club Gideon Baah's interview after completing move...bullet
10 Video Watch how Kotoko defeated Dwarfs 2-1bullet

Football