Football O'Neill extends Northern Ireland deal to 2024

Michael O'Neill has been rewarded for leading Northern Ireland to a first major tournament in 30 years with a bumper contract extension till 2024, the Irish FA (IFA) announced on Friday.

  • Published:
Michael O'Neill turned down Scotland before extending his Northern Ireland contract play

Michael O'Neill turned down Scotland before extending his Northern Ireland contract

(AFP/File)
24/7 Live - Subscribe to the Pulse Newsletter!

Michael O'Neill has been rewarded for leading Northern Ireland to a first major tournament in 30 years with a bumper contract extension till 2024, the Irish FA (IFA) announced on Friday.

O'Neill, 48, had been chased by the Scottish FA as they seek to find a successor to Gordon Strachan. After turning down the SFA following talks last month, O'Neil agreed a new deal worth a reported a record £700,000 (790,000 euros, $974,000) a year salary for a Northern Ireland manager to remain in charge.

"I am extremely proud to manage my country and I am pleased to be extending my time in charge of the senior team," O'Neill said in a statement released by the IFA.

"In recent months I have been approached about taking other opportunities in football. However, no other challenge attracted me as much as taking Northern Ireland back to a major tournament."

O'Neill masterminded Northern Ireland's qualification for Euro 2016 and even progressed to the last 16 in France before losing out narrowly 1-0 to Wales.

However, they fell just short of qualifying for this year's World Cup when they lost 1-0 to Switzerland in a two-legged playoff in November.

As part of his new contract, O'Neill will also take up the role of Chief Football Officer and will have overall responsibility for the development of the game in Northern Ireland.

"We wanted him to continue as not only has he brought success to our senior men’s international team, but his positive influence extends to all levels of football in Northern Ireland," said IFA president David Martin.

O'Neill's men don't have another competitive match until September when they kick-off their qualifying quest for Euro 2020 with the debut of UEFA's Nations League against Austria and Bosnia and Herzegovina.

Do you ever witness news or have a story that should be featured on Pulse Ghana?
Submit your stories, pictures and videos to us now via WhatsApp: +233507713497, Social Media @pulseghana: #PulseEyewitness & DM or Email: eyewitness@pulse.com.gh.

Recommended Articles

Recommended Videos




Top Articles

1 Breaking News Ghana's President orders for the arrest of Kwesi Nyantakyibullet
2 GFA Here is why the President ordered the arrest of Kwesi Nyantakyibullet
3 Anas Exposé 6 photos of Countryman Songo that could be his perfect...bullet
4 Anas Exposé Nyantakyi confirms he will return to Ghana to assist...bullet
5 Number 12 CID picks up Nyantakyi at the Kotoka International Airportbullet
6 GFA Here’s how much jail term Kwesi Nyantakyi could get for...bullet
7 Ghana Football Association John Mahama prevented us from...bullet
8 Anas exposé CID issues statement on Kwesi Nyantakyibullet
9 Scandalous Top 5 scandals of Kwesi Nyantakyi since he...bullet
10 GFA President Five key facts about Kwesi Nyantakyi’s...bullet

Top Videos

1 Video Watch how Essien and his Chelsea legends suffered 4-1 defeatbullet
2 Watch how Ghanaian youngster tore Barca's unbeaten run apartbullet
3 Video Watch the highlights of new Black Stars wonder kidbullet
4 Video Watch highlights and goals of Black Stars new sensationbullet
5 The Real News with Akrobeto goes International, shows on Real...bullet
6 Watch the six-goal thriller between Aduana Stars and Rajabullet
7 Didier Drogba Chelsea legend jams to Stonebwoy and Asamoah...bullet
8 Long Shot Michael Essien's favourite goal for Chelseabullet
9 Video Watch how Hearts thrashed Kotoko eaxctly 18 years...bullet
10 New Club Gideon Baah's interview after completing move...bullet

Football