Other Sports Ashton vows to regain Saracens and England spots

Chris Ashton has vowed to regain his place in the Saracens team and the England squad after being banned for 13 weeks for biting.

  • Published:
24/7 Live - Subscribe to the Pulse Newsletter!

Chris Ashton has vowed to regain his place in the Saracens team and the England squad after being banned for 13 weeks for biting Northampton Saints prop Alex Waller.

Ashton received the suspension following a lengthy hearing last Tuesday as he was found guilty on one of two counts of biting during Sarries' 27-12 Premiership win over Northampton the previous Saturday.

It marks the former rugby league player's second significant ban of 2016 after being handed a 10-week suspension back in January for making contact with the eyes of Ulster's Luke Marshall.

But, in a statement released on the Saracens official website, Ashton said: "It would be an understatement to say I was disappointed last week to be handed a 13-week ban by the RFU, my second significant ban of 2016.

"I told the disciplinary panel that I did not bite the Northampton prop, just as I had told the panel in January that I did not make contact with the eyes of the Ulster centre.

"Both panels chose to accept the opposing version of events. I did not agree with either verdict but I must and do accept the sanctions.

"There is no place for biting or gouging in rugby, and World Rugby are 100 per cent correct in seeking to eradicate these actions. 

"Rugby is a physical sport but it is also a fair sport; that is the way I have always played the game, and that is how I will continue to play the game.

"I would like to thank publicly Saracens for their support during these times, and I am wholly committed to repaying the faith of Nigel Wray, our chairman, and Mark McCall, our director of rugby, and all the other coaches, players and staff of this special organisation.

"My clear ambition is first to regain my place in the Saracens team and then to regain my place in the England side. It may seem a long journey back from the despair of last week's judgement but I will do everything in my power to get back to where, in my heart, I feel I belong."

Do you ever witness news or have a story that should be featured on Pulse Ghana?
Submit your stories, pictures and videos to us now via WhatsApp: +233507713497, Social Media @pulseghana: #PulseEyewitness & DM or Email: eyewitness@pulse.com.gh.

Recommended Articles

Recommended Videos




Top Articles

1 Educated Footballers 6 football players with Master’s Degreesbullet
2 World Championships Reigning snooker champion Selby faces marathon man...bullet
3 International Women's Day Meet some of Ghana's most influential...bullet
4 Goal machine Meet Raphael Dwamena, the Ghanaian striker with 30...bullet
5 Formula One Honda 'committed' to F1, says sport's CEObullet
6 Did you know? Meet the Ghanaian who became CAF Vice President...bullet
7 Profile All you need to know about late Herbert Addobullet
8 Takuma Sato Japanese soaking up post-Indy 500 accoladesbullet
9 Akwasi Frimpong Olympic hopeful back in Ghana after 23 yearsbullet
10 From Youth Star To Obscurity How Clifford Aboagye is...bullet

More Sports