Tragedy Qatar World Cup stadium worker dies

  • Published: , Refreshed:
Qatar has been accused of abusing the rights of more than 5,000 workers helping to build the facilities for the Gulf state which will host the 2022 World Cup play

Qatar has been accused of abusing the rights of more than 5,000 workers helping to build the facilities for the Gulf state which will host the 2022 World Cup

(AFP/File)
24/7 Live - Subscribe to the Pulse Newsletter!

Qatar's World Cup organisers have announced that a worker employed in the construction of one of the stadiums for the 2022 tournament has died in a "work-related" incident.

It is the first time World Cup organisers in Qatar have announced a work-related death in regard to the tournament.

"It is with deep regret we announce a work-related fatality on one of our projects" following "an incident on Al-Wakrah Stadium on Saturday morning," said the Supreme Committee for Delivery and Legacy.

"A full investigation is underway to determine the factors which contributed to the death of one of our workers," it added.

The statement did not identify the worker or give details on the nature of the incident.

Qatar has been widely condemned for its treatment of foreign workers.

The issue of deaths among migrant labourers helping build stadiums for its $30 billion tournament has long proved controversial.

Critics have claimed that 1,200 workers have already died and up to 4,000 could perish before the World Cup begins, a figure vehemently denied by Qatar.

Qatar has an estimated 1.6 million migrant workers, more than 85 percent of the entire workforce, according to government figures released at the end of 2015.

The number of workers employed on World Cup sites in Qatar is expected to peak at 36,000 by 2018.

In February, organisers said six labourers building stadiums for the tournament suffered work-related injuries last year but there were no fatalities.

In May, it was announced an investigation had been launched into the death of an Indian worker at the Al-Bayt stadium, but organisers denied his death was work-related.

Shaped to look like a traditional dhow boat, Al-Wakrah stadium has a capacity of 40,000 and will be used up to the quarter-final stages in 2022.

Do you ever witness news or have a story that should be featured on Pulse Ghana?
Submit your stories, pictures and videos to us now via WhatsApp: +233507713497, Social Media @pulseghana: #PulseEyewitness & DM or Email: eyewitness@pulse.com.gh.

Recommended Articles

Recommended Videos




Top Articles

1 Educated Footballers 6 football players with Master’s Degreesbullet
2 Jason Jude Arthur Ghanaian Swimmer grabs two gold medals at 2018 CAA...bullet
3 Maria Sharapova Returning Russian star shrugs off criticismbullet
4 Winter Olympics American teen Kim melts hearts with tearful...bullet
5 Roger Federer Tennis star becomes oldest ATP world number onebullet
6 Pulse Interview Heralded Nigerian Ice Blazers in pursuit of...bullet
7 Winter Olympics Meet all the African athletes competing at...bullet
8 Ghana To The World Stylish female sports personalities you...bullet
9 2017 Rugby Championship All Blacks edge Springboks in...bullet
10 No-Nonsense Man 5 most controversial moments of Sulley...bullet

Top Videos

1 Video Ustin Gatlin beats Usain Bold and wins 100m final 9.92sbullet

More Sports