Advertisement

Gov't snubs striking traders

___4757824___https:______static.pulse.com.gh___webservice___escenic___binary___4757824___2016___3___3___12___Picture-1311
___4757824___https:______static.pulse.com.gh___webservice___escenic___binary___4757824___2016___3___3___12___Picture-1311
Government did not even give us a phone call or even a text message in response to our concerns. We really feel let down by a government that is supposed to be working on our behalf and for us."- Samson Awingobite
Advertisement

Businesses belonging to the Joint Business Consultative Forum, who have been striking for three days over what they describe as unreasonably high taxes and import duties have been further insensed by governments disregard for thier concerns.

Advertisement

Speaking to Pulse Business, Mr. Samson Awingobite, Executive Director of the Ghana Importers and Exporters Association, Samson Awingobite bemoaned government show of apathy and non- concern over their plight.

"Government did not even give us a phone call or even a text message in response to our concerns. We really feel let down by a government that is supposed to be working on our behalf and for us."

The consultative forum was told to hold on with a planned extention of the strike while government prepares a response to the concerns of the traders. But Samson Awingobite says government has not failed to get back to them.

" We agreed to restrict the strike to Accra alone on the demand of government, with the hopes that they will get back to us by the end of the strke, but not so far. This is not right."

Advertisement

Meanwhile, shops and businesses belonging to the forum have opened their shops Thursday as the three- day strike ends. Executives of the Consultative Forum are locked in  a meeting to decide the way forward.

Advertisement
Latest Videos
Advertisement