Manchester United to demand £35m for David de Gea from Real Madrid
Louis van Gaal has challenged Real Madrid to match Manchester United's valuation of David de Gea as the Spaniards prepare to make a £25million bid this week.
The United boss believes De Gea could yet stay at Old Trafford for another year despite ruling the 24-year-old goalkeeper out of his plans until the transfer window closes because he is not in the right frame of mind.
Madrid are convinced they will have signed De Gea by then, but it is understood that United will reject the offer and demand closer to £35m after Van Gaal warned that they would not be allowed to get their man on the cheap.
He said: 'We have to pay a lot of money for all the players we want, and we want the same level when we have to sell.
'We want to keep him of course but I'm not the most important part, that's the player and the club who want to buy him. He's been our best player for two years or three years so we cannot let him go so easily.'
Asked if he can see De Gea playing for United again, Van Gaal replied: 'Of course. But the position of goalkeeper is the one that needs the highest concentration and focus during 90 minutes. When you are in circumstances like David de Gea, it's difficult to accomplish that.
'We observed him against Barcelona and Paris Saint-Germain, and it was not the same David de Gea as last year. He also felt like that. After September 1 we will look at him.'
Madrid director general Jose Angel Sanchez and the player's agent Jorge Mendes are working on the deal, and staff at the Bernabeu have been told to prepare to have De Gea in place for the opening game of the La Liga season in two weeks' time.
United have already lined up Ajax keeper Jasper Cillessen as De Gea's replacement, with Van Gaal informing the Dutch club's manager Frank de Boer of his plans four weeks ago.
Source: DailyMail