- Authorities said they believe Culwell was the woman filmed throwing seven 3-day-old puppies into a Dumpster behind an auto-parts shop in Coachella last week.
- A Riverside County Department of Animal Services spokesman said Culwell had about 30 dogs at her home when she was arrested.
- Visit INSIDER's homepage for more stories .
A 54-year-old woman accused of throwing seven 3-day-old puppies into a Dumpster behind an auto-parts shop in Coachella , California, has been arrested, authorities said.
Deborah Sue Culwell was arrested at her Coachella home by Riverside County Animal Services on Monday evening and faces up to seven counts of animal cruelty, according to CBS Los Angeles .
Her arrest comes after the Riverside County Animal Services shared video online of a suspect getting out of a car and throwing the puppies into a Dumpster.
John Welsh, of Riverside County Department of Animal Services, told ABC 7 that Culwell had about 30 dogs at her home when she was arrested.
The dogs were taken to a shelter in Thousand Palms, California, to ensure they were fed and cared for, Welsh said.
Riverside County Animal Services worked with the Riverside County Sheriff's Department and the district attorney's office to find a suspect in the incident.
The puppies were saved from the Dumpster less than an hour after the suspect fled the scene.
A passerby had been rummaging through the trash when the puppies were discovered. Animal services said the puppies would have died in the heat if they were found any later.
MeoowzResQ , a rescue group in Southern California, has partnered with the department to help foster the puppies and bottle-feed them until they're old enough to eat on their own.
- Read more:
- Engineers found an owl napping inside the engine of a Virgin Australia plane
- Authorities mistook an 11-foot alligator for an unconscious person
- 2 gorillas appear to be posing for a selfie with rangers at a national park
- An 18-foot-long snake escaped captivity and climbed onto a roof, scaring neighbors