- Millennials , as a generation, are largely shaped by technological advancements and the Great Recession .
- The world has been quick to label millennials both positively and negatively based on their finances, personalities, and societal progress.
- From being called " the brokest generation " to "the loneliest generation," here's how the world views millennials.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories .
Every generation has its defining characteristics, but millennials are a generation unto their own at least, that's what the world says.
Raised by baby boomers, millennials were born between 1981 and 1996 and turn ages 23 to 38 this year. They're the first generation to grow up with the internet. They came of age and entered the workforce during the Great Recession, both of which played a significant role in shaping their lives.
They're also the first generation to inspire think pieces about themselves, wrote Annah Feinberg for The New Yorker . As such, no generation has arguably received as many labels.
Millennials have been highlighted for their financial struggles, criticized for acting special and entitled, and applauded for making progress in education and diversity.
Here's how the world sees millennials today.
- The 25 best places to buy a vacation home in the US, ranked
- The suburban mansion may be losing its spot as part of the American Dream, and it highlights just how different millennials' and baby boomers' worlds are
- The Rock just married longtime girlfriend Lauren Hashian. Here's how the highest-paid actor in Hollywood makes and spends his millions.