- I recently visited Abkhazia , a disputed region in Georgia, to photograph abandoned buildings and towns.
- The Sukhumi Babushara Airport in Abkhazia was built in the 1960s, but hasn't been used since the early 1990s after it was heavily damaged in a war with Georgia.
- Eerie photos of the abandoned airport show what it looks like today.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
On the coast of western Asia's Black Sea lies an airport that has been abandoned for 25 years.
The Sukhumi Babushara Airport in Abkhazia, a disputed region of Georgia, was built in the 1960s, when Abkhazia was still a part of the Soviet Union.
Thanks to the city of Sukhumi's proximity to the Black Sea, the airport was popular for domestic travelers looking for a beach getaway. At its peak, close to 5,000 people traveled through the airport each summer.
But the airport's fate changed in the early 1990s, when Abkhazia was ravaged by war with Georgia . The airport was heavily damaged, leading to its abandonment.
As a photographer with a focus on abandoned buildings , I took a particular interest in the Abkhazia airport. I recently traveled to the region to document what 25 years of neglect have done to the building.
Here's what the airport looks like today.
- A luxury building on Moscow's 'Golden Mile' is home to Russian businessmen, celebrities, and athletes. I got a look inside, and its 15 residences were totally different from high-end condos I've toured in NYC.
- Here's a running list of the most high-profile American billionaires and multi-millionaires who have asked the government to raise their taxes
- Kanye West and Kim Kardashian just expanded their 'minimal monastery' compound in Hidden Hills by dropping nearly $3 million on a neighboring home. Here's a look inside the couple's growing real-estate portfolio.