- Alibaba threw its cofounder and outgoing chairman Jack Ma a four-hour, 60,000-person going away party at the Hangzhou Olympic Sports Center, the Wall Street Journal reported.
- Ma has a reputation for being extravagant, Business Insider previously reported.
- The former chairman will be replaced by CEO Daniel Zhang and previously said that after retiring, he wants to return to teaching.
- Jack Ma, the richest person in China, has a net worth of $38 billion .
Outgoing Alibaba chairman Jack Ma is known for being flamboyant, and his retirement party from the online marketplace proved to be no different.
The occasion, officially billed as Alibaba's 20th-anniversary party, was held in an 80,000-seat arena and lasted for hours, Reuters reported.
"This is not the end of Jack Ma," Ma said to the crowd at the event, according to the Wall Street Journal . "This is just the beginning of passing down a heritage."
Ma, a former English teacher, founded Alibaba 20 years ago from his apartment in Hangzhou, Business Insider previously reported. Ma is now the richest person in China and has a net worth of $38 billion .
Keep reading for a look inside the massive anniversary celebration.
- Alibaba cofounder Jack Ma the richest person in China is retiring with a net worth of $38 billion. Here's his incredible rags-to-riches story.
- Rafael Nadal, one of the highest-paid tennis players of all time, just won his 4th US Open. Here's how he spends his millions, from a $725,000 Richard Mille watch to a mansion in Mallorca.
- The 10 cheapest states to buy a home in right now
SEE ALSO: Alibaba cofounder Jack Ma the richest person in China is retiring with a net worth of $38 billion. Here's his incredible rags-to-riches story.
DON'T MISS: Elon Musk and Jack Ma clash during intense debate on the future of artificial intelligence and life on Mars