- At the 2019 Frankfurt Motor Show , Land Rover unveiled its all-new Defender SUV.
- The Land Rover Defender has a rich legacy, dating back over 70 years. But it was discontinued in 2016 and hadn't been legal for the US since the late 1990s. The new version is a revival that after many absent years will bring the Defender back to the US market.
- The long-wheelbase Defender 110 will arrive in spring 2020, priced at just under $50,000 with a four-cylinder engine. The most expensive Defender will be $81,000. A short wheelbase SUV arrives in late 2020.
- The new Defender was tested in a wide range of challenging environments to live up to its off-road legacy, but the vehicle is more stylish and high-tech than Defenders of the past.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories .
Few SUVs have as much pure off-road credibility as the legendary Land Rover Defender. The Ultimate Expedition Machine dates back seven decades and has done it all, from crossing mountains to fording rivers and everything imaginable in between.
The previous generation Defender traces back to the early 1980s (updated in the 1990s), but it fell short of US regulations in the late '90s and hasn't been available in the American market since. The vehicle was also discontinued in 2016, with the expectation that an updated, redesigned SUV would follow.
After a wait, it's arrived. Land Rover pulled the cover off at the Frankfurt Motor Show.
Here's a closer look at the new Defender, in all its glory:
- These are the hottest cars we can't wait to see at the Frankfurt Motor Show
- I pitted a Ford F-150 against a Chevy Silverado in the ultimate pickup-truck showdown here's the verdict
- Flight attendants reveal 11 of their best travel hacks