- Carlos Slim is the richest person in Mexico , worth an estimated $55.2 billion, according to Bloomberg's Billionaires Index.
- He ranks among the top 10 richest people in the world.
- The 79-year-old Mexican billionaire controls America Movil, the largest mobile-phone operator in Latin America, and holds stakes in several other publicly traded companies, including The New York Times.
Carlos Slim Helu, Mexico's wealthiest man and one of the richest self-made billionaires in the world , flies under the radar more than you might expect, considering he's involved in hundreds of companies in Mexico , which is also known as "Slimlandia."
Here's how Slim built up his massive business empire.
- Meet Bernard Arnault, the French billionaire who just became richer than Warren Buffett and controls luxury-goods empire LVMH
- A Chinese billionaire is the richest self-made woman in the world. Here's how she went from making $16 a month in a factory to controlling a $9.4 billion real estate empire
- Kylie Jenner is the youngest self-made billionaire ever and over-the-top photos show what $1 billion buys, from her luxurious baby accessories to a million-dollar car collection