- Cuomo is also the brother of New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo, who has been lauded for his leadership during the pandemic.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories .
CNN anchor Chris Cuomo, brother of New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo, has been diagnosed with COVID-19.
In a statement posted to Twitter , Cuomo said that he had been in contact in recent days with people who later tested positive.
He plans to continue shooting his show, "Cuomo Prime Time," from his basement, where he is quarantining himself.
He joked that his move to the basement has actually left his family quite "pleased" and noted that "even the dogs won't come downstairs" now.
Cuomo's older brother, Gov. Andrew Cuomo, has been lauded for his leadership during the coronavirus crisis, which has left more than 900 dead in New York City alone.
Cuomo's invited the governor on his show multiple times to discuss the outbreak. Their brotherly banter, including an argument over who was their mother's favorite, have made for more lighthearted headlines during the outbreak.
At an afternoon press confernence, Gov. Cuomo addressed his brother's recent diganosis, joking that he's "young, in good shape" but "not as strong as he thinks."
"He's an essential worker, a member of the press, you go out there, the chance you get infected is very high.
"I spoke to him this morning He's just worried about his daughter and his kids. You see Chris, he has a show on at night, but you just see one dimension, you see a person in his job, and in his job he's combative and argumentative and pushing people, but that's his job that's not who he really is. He's a really sweet and beautiful guy, and he's my best friend," the governor said.
- Shocking video shows the bodies of NYC coronavirus victims being forklifted into a refrigerated truck used as a temporary morgue
- Before-and-after photos show Berlin's famous landmarks looking deserted in the coronavirus pandemic
- Trump calls Washington Gov. Inslee a 'nasty person' and says he makes Pence call him