- Behind closed doors, Pelosi insisted that Democrats had the upper hand on the trade deal and out-strategized the GOP.
- "We ate their lunch," Pelosi said in a caucus meeting,accordingto CNN reporter Manu Raju.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi celebrated her party's work on the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA), which both Democrats and the White House agree is an improvement on the North American Free Trade Agreement.
Democrats touted their efforts in securing key labor protections in the deal, which Mexico and Canada are both expected to sign on Tuesday.
"There is no question that this trade agreement is much better than NAFTA. It is infinitely better than what was initially proposed by the administration," Pelosi said during a Tuesday press conference. "We're declaring victory for the American worker."
Behind closed doors, Pelosi insisted that Democrats had the upper hand on the trade deal and out-strategized the GOP.
"We ate their lunch," Pelosi said in a caucus meeting, according to CNN reporter Manu Raju.
The agreement between congressional Democrats and the White House comes after more than two years of negotiations between the US, Mexico, and Canada.
Trump also celebrated the deal on Tuesday, taking a break from slamming the impeachment process.
"Looking like very good Democrat support for USMCA. That would be great for our Country!" he tweeted .
- Progressives slam Democrats for announcing their new trade deal with Trump an hour after they said they're bringing articles of impeachment
- Trump's new major trade deal looks a lot like NAFTA. Here are key differences between them.
- Everything you need to know about Trump's impeachment process: What's happened, who the players are, and what comes next