- "It's already late for me to have a career like Messi," Mbappe told La Gazzetta dello Sport. "I have to be inspired by Ronaldo's career."
- Mbappe joined Paris Saint Germain for $200 million in 2017, however after three years in France, and with his contract expiring in 2022, his future is now subject to speculation.
- The 21-year-old has been linked with moves to Real Madrid, FC Barcelona, and Liverpool FC, according to FourFourTwo.
- Mbappe said, according to the BBC, that while he remains focused on PSG for now, "at the end of the season, we will see."
- Read more of our soccer stories here.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories .
That's because the Frenchman believes it's too late for him to be a one club man like the Argentinian, and he must now try to emulate the Portuguese forward instead.
"It's already late for me to have a career like Messi," Mbappe told La Gazzetta dello Sport. "Otherwise I should have stayed at Monaco. So, logically and without wanting to take anything away from Messi, I have to be inspired by Ronaldo's career."
Ronaldo started his career with Sporting Lisbon, before being signed by Manchester United after just one season as a pro in 2003.
A world record $103 million transfer to Real Madrid followed in 2009, and nine years later, he jumped ship to Juventus, where he currently remains.
Like Ronaldo, Mbappe needed only one full season to earn himself a move to a major European club, with Paris Saint Germain paying $200 million for his services in 2017 after he had helped AS Monaco win the French league and reach the Champions League semi finals.
After Mbappe said he is inspired by Ronaldo's career, the Portuguese forward shared his own praise for Mbappe, calling him the "future" of football.
"Mbappeis the future and the present,"Ronaldosaid in a promotional video shared byMarca, according to a report from Goal. "He's a fantastic player, very fast, and he will be the future."
Mbappe set to move on?
Mbappe has spent nearly three years in the French capital and scored 84 goals. His contract is due to expire in 2022, and his next move is now the subject of widespread speculation.
The 21-year-old has been linked with moves to Real Madrid, FC Barcelona, and Liverpool FC, according to FourFourTwo, the latter of whom he has recently spoken of his admiration for.
Rumors over his future have also intensified since he was engaged in a touchline argument with PSG boss Thomas Tuchel at the start of February.
Mbappe was substituted in 68th minute with the French champions leading Montpellier 5-0, however was clearly unhappy with the decision as he stormed past Tuchel before turning around for a heated exchange of words, according to The Guardian.
Mbappe said after the incident, according to the BBC: "I have to stay calm and stay focused on PSG. After that, at the end of the season, we will see."
PSG next play against FC Bordeaux on Sunday February 23.
- Barcelona was forced to deny hiring a company to attack Lionel Messi on social media, then swiftly posted 8 tweets praising his 'extraordinary' year
- Lionel Messi is in the middle of his worst goal drought in 6 years, despite the fact it's only 4 games since he last scored
- An MLS coach said 'I am who I am' after resigning over an investigation into whether he sang the N-word in the team's locker room