- Chipotle is adding vegan and vegetarian options to the menu, with two new burrito bowls.
- The new menu items are part of the "Lifestyle Bowls" line that launched earlier this year and highlights buzzy dieting trends, with the Paleo Salad Bowl, the Keto Salad Bowl, and the Whole30 Salad Bowl.
- The line of bowls allows Chipotle to "add" new menu items using its existing ingredients .
- CEO Brian Niccol told Business Insider earlier this year that Chipotle hoped to use Lifestyle Bowls to make customers more aware of certain ingredients, such as its sofritas vegan protein.
Chipotle is adding vegan and vegetarian options to the menu as the fast-casual chain tweaks its strategy.
On Monday, Chipotle announced it would add a vegan bowl and a vegetarian bowl to the menu. The vegan bowl features sofritas, brown rice, black beans, tomato and corn salsas, and lettuce. The vegetarian bowl has fajita veggies, brown rice, pinto beans, tomato and corn salsas, sour cream, and guacamole.
The bowls are an extension of Chipotle's "Lifestyle Bowls" line, which launched in January and highlights buzzy dieting trends, with the Paleo Salad Bowl, the Keto Salad Bowl, and the Whole30 Salad Bowl. All the bowls are available to purchase online or on the chain's app.
Chipotle has offered vegetarian and vegan options for years, launching its sofritas vegan protein in 2014. However, CEO Brian Niccol said the chain had struggled to make customers aware of menu options.
"Our No. 1-selling meat is chicken," Niccol told Business Insider in January. "When you ask people 'Did you know we had carnitas, barbacoa, or sofritas?' a lot of people are like, what is that?"
With the early success of the Lifestyle Bowls, Niccol told Business Insider that the chain was looking for other items that could be repackaged and reintroduced to customers.
"As we get ready to move into Lent or certain seasons where vegetarian or certain nonmeat opportunities present themselves, nobody even knows we have sofritas," Niccol said. "Frankly, even if they know we do have sofritas, a lot of them don't even know that it is plant-based."
- Alibaba's opening an online store with Office Depot, as the 2 companies work to beat out Amazon as a 'trusted, friendly' option for American small businesses
- Tie-dye is making a comeback, and experts say it's thanks to a turbulent political climate
- People are mocking Victoria's Secret's failure to embrace plus-size and transgender women after the lingerie brand announced plans to close dozens of stores