- On an Android phone, you can change your Google Maps voice in the app or in your phone's text-to-speech settings.
- On an iPhone , you'll have to change your Google Maps voice by changing the language of your entire phone.
If you're getting a bit tired of the Google Maps voice and want to change things up, or if you need to hear directions in a different language, you're in luck: it's easy to change the Google Maps voice on your iPhone or Android .
For example, you may choose to have an English (as in UK) accent, rather than an American one while those aren't separate languages, they are both options in the app.
But getting this done isn't the most intuitive process, and if you don't know the proper channels, you could end up wandering around your app's settings for a bit before you figure out.
To help you avoid that, here's what you need to know to change the way the Google Maps voice sounds on your phone.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
How to change the Google Maps voice on an Android phone
Both iPhone and Android users will be able to take advantage of the language-changing feature that's available in Google Maps. But there are differences in the steps you'll need to take to get it done.
Here's how to do it if you have an Android:
1. Open the Google Maps app.
2. Tap the three lines in the corner to open the Menu.
3. Scroll down and select "Settings."
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page and tap "Navigation settings."
5. Tap "Voice Selection."
6. Select the language of the voice you want to hear when Google Maps tells you directions.
If you have an Android, you may also be able to change the voice via your phone's settings.
To do that, select "Language and Input," and then "Text-to-speech output." Then, under "Preferred engine," make a selection that fits you best.
How to change the Google Maps voice on an iPhone
If you have an iPhone , here's how to change the language in your Google Maps app:
1. Go to your device's settings.
2. Tap "General."
3. Select "Language and Region."
4. Select the language you want Google Maps to use.
Keep in mind that this will change the language of your entire phone, likely including all other apps.
Related coverage from How To Do Everything: Tech :
- How to add your business to Google and get it displayed on Google Maps for customers to find
- How to get street view on Google Maps on a phone or computer, for an interactive tour of unfamiliar areas
- How to change your default home address on an iPhone, in both Google Maps and Apple Maps
- How to change the 'Significant Locations' saved on your iPhone, or delete the list
- How to block someone on Google Hangouts on your computer or mobile device
- How to send a video from an iPhone to an Android phone in 3 different ways
- How to turn on subtitles on YouTube on your phone or computer, and set them to stay on automatically
SEE ALSO: The Google Pixel is one of the best Android phones you can buy here's where you can get one