- In a video posted to Twitter, and later carried by the Fars state news agency, Iraj Harirchi pledged to overcome his illness.
- Iran is struggling to cope with the outbreak , with at least 16 deaths recorded so far.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories .
Iran's deputy health minister, and department spokesman, says he has tested positive for the coronavirus, as the country emerges as one of the worst-hit places outside of Asia.
In a video posted to Twitter, carried by Fars news agency, Iraj Harirchi said that he was infected, but that he would beat the virus.
"I will certainly defeat corona," he said, according to Bloomberg's Iran reporter Golnar Motevalli.
Iran is one of the worst affected countries, with a flurry of cases confirmed in the last 72 hours , and 16 confirmed deaths.
China remains home to the vast majority of global cases, but Japan, South Korea, Italy, and Iran have all recorded substantial numbers of infections in the past week.
NOW WATCH: What's inside these 8 unique creatures
- Cases of the coronavirus are spiking outside of China and the World Health Organization warned 'the window of opportunity is narrowing' to contain it
- Iran, Italy, and South Korea announced harsh new measures to stifle their own outbreaks of the coronavirus
- China said it would relax its lockdown of Wuhan's 11 million residents, only to immediately reintroduce it