- If you're one of the thousands of people playing "Kingdom Hearts 3," the final game in the popular trilogy that was released on Tuesday, you should try turning off the game's subtitles.
- While I generally love using subtitles to watch movies and shows , turning them off in "Kingdom Hearts 3" makes the game a more cinematic experience.
- "Kingdom Hearts 3" has a ton of cutscenes, and removing the subtitles makes it feel like you're in a living Disney movie.
If you're one of the many people playing or about to play "Kingdom Hearts 3," try turning off the game's subtitles. You might be surprised with how much better the experience is.
"Kingdom Hearts 3" is the final game in the long-running saga, which began with the very first "Kingdom Hearts" game in 2002 for the PlayStation 2. Fans have been waiting over a decade since "Kingdom Hearts 2," which released in 2005.
But whether you're new to the series or you've been playing "Kingdom Hearts" since the PlayStation 2 days, you'll probably notice how many cinematic cutscenes occur during the new game.
The cutscenes themselves are beautiful, but for the first several hours of playing "Kingdom Hearts 3," I felt like something was missing. The visuals looked just like a movie, but something kept reminding me that I was playing a game. I couldn't figure out what it was.
Then, I tried turning off the subtitles. When the next cutscene occurred, it felt like I was watching a real Disney movie in a theatre not playing a video game.
To turn off the subtitles, you have to wait for a point in the game where you can free-roam around a level: basically when you have control of your character, but when you're not in a fight or a cutscene. Just press start, navigate to your settings, and turn off subtitles.
While subtitles can be helpful , especially to keep track of the many names in "Kingdom Hearts," I find the game is best experienced without them. Sometimes I found myself missing out on the visuals because I was too busy trying to read and parse the subtitles. Without them there, it felt more like experiencing a living movie. After all, when was the last time you went to a theater to watch a new Disney film, and saw subtitles?
Subtitles are on by default in "Kingdom Hearts 3," but try turning them off, if only for a little bit. You might be surprised with how much more immersive the game can be without them.
- 'Super Smash Bros. Ultimate' is about to its first major new character since launch. Heres how to get it for free
- One of the best-selling games of 2018 is over 5 years old: 'Grand Theft Auto 5'
- Nintendo's biggest game of 2018 didn't arrive until December, yet it was still one of the best-selling games of the year