- PayPal Credit isn't a physical card, and you can't use it at brick-and-mortar stores, but this makes it quick and easy to sign up and get approved you just need to have a PayPal account and fill out an online application for approval.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories .
PayPal is strongly associated with e-commerce and online banking, as it is one of the best ways to make secure payments on the internet.
What PayPal Credit is, and how to use it for online shopping
There's a catch: PayPal Credit, unlike Visa and traditional credit cards, can't be used in brick-and-mortar stores, and you won't get a physical piece of plastic either.
PayPal Credit is 100% online-based. It is different from other credit cards with PayPal in the name including the PayPal Cashback Mastercard as it is only meant to be used online.
But there are many perks that come with PayPal Credit, especially if you are a frequent online shopper and already use PayPal. Here's what you need to know.
Its easy to apply and get approved for PayPal Credit
PayPal Credit has a particularly fast process, since you don't even need to wait for a physical card to arrive in the mail. You'll just need to fill out an online application and be subject to an instant approval based on your credit history.
You will need a PayPal account to get the card, which will also automatically link to your PayPal Credit, appearing as a payment option each time you check out with PayPal.
You can only use PayPal Credit if PayPal is available as a payment option
The flip side of the coin to the convenience of automatically linked PayPal and PayPal Credit is that PayPal has to be an option in order to use PayPal Credit.
Fortunately, this is increasingly common. You can use PayPal Credit at the many online sites where PayPal is accepted, including big name retailers like Walmart, Target, Macy's, and more , though Amazon is a notable exception .
PayPal Credit can cover the difference for large purchases when you dont have adequate funds in your PayPal Wallet
Emma Witman/Business Insider
PayPal Credit is a reusable credit line built into your PayPal account.
So if you want to make a larger purchase right away but your PayPal account's balance is too low, your PayPal Credit line can spot you the difference and you can even choose to pay it over time.
You can carry a balance on those large ticket items without being hit with interest fees but youll definitely want to avoid paying interest
As long as you pay off purchases of $99 or more within six months, you can get an item scotch-free of interest charges as long as you make minimum payments.
One thing that's unfortunately similar between PayPal Credit and its credit card competitors is its sky-high interest rate, at 25.99%.
So long as you're responsible with paying the balance or large purchases within six months, there's no financial disincentive to getting PayPal Credit, as there is also no annual fee.
Related coverage from How To Do Everything: Tech :
- How to receive money on PayPal and transfer funds to a connected bank account
- How to transfer money from PayPal to your bank account for free, in 2 different ways
- You can use most credit cards on PayPal here's how to add a card and link it with your account to make purchases
- How to refund a payment on PayPal in 4 simple steps
- 'Does Amazon accept Venmo?': It doesn't directly, but here's how you can use a Venmo Card instead
- How to retrieve deleted emails on iPhone in 2 ways, whether or not you recently deleted them
- How to get a Venmo card, which is like a debit card that uses money from your Venmo balance
SEE ALSO: The best rewards credit cards updated for November 2019