A patient’s flatulence is being blamed for a fire that left her badly burnt, a Japanese newspaper reports.

However, as the operation was being carried out, she passed wind, which sparked fire and burnt most of her body, waist and legs.

The unfortunate incident occurred on April 15, 2016 but it has only come to light this week after a committee of external experts examined the case.

The report from the Committee said there were no flammable materials in the operation room at the time.

It also stated the equipment used during the operation was functioning as normal.

"When the patient's intestinal gas leaked into the space of the operation (room), it ignited with the irradiation of the laser, and the burning spread, eventually reaching the surgical drape and causing the fire," the report added.