Create small steps to achieve what you want - if it is to lose weight, make small changes like cutting back on sugary foods first
A new year is upon us and that means New Year resolutions, but, for many of us, those plans to do better will be forgotten about a few weeks into 2016. So, here are ten suggestions on how you can stick to your 2016 goals.
1. Be realistic with your expectations - there's no point trying to do something that you know you will fail at.
2. Create small steps to achieve what you want - if it is to lose weight, make small changes like cutting back on sugary foods first, or going for a walk everyday. Build up your goals slowly.
3. Use visual images to inspire you - if you want to save to go on holiday, put an image of your holiday destination on your fridge so you will always be reminded of what you want.
4. Imagine your future and how your life will look if you stick to your resolution, then think about how it will look if you don't.
5. Write your resolutions down so you see them everyday. You could write them in your diary or save them on your smart phone.
6. Order your goals from most important to least and write a plan on how to achieve them. It's best to focus on one at a time so you are not overwhelmed.
7. Find a buddy to support you. Team up with a friend who also wants to make changes and keep each other updated on your progress and support each other through it.
8 If you fail one day, don't give up. Everyone makes mistakes and lasting change takes time to sink in.
9. Believe in yourself - sacrifice is worth it in the long run. While today that beer might look good, in the long run it won't be good for your health
10. Celebrate when you achieve but don't celebrate in a way that will hamper your goals - if you are trying to cut down on drinking beer, don't celebrate your successes with a brew!