Ingredients to use:
DIY Recipes: How to make coated peanuts
Coated peanuts are served with a handful of pastries here in Ghana. They are more common at events where pastries are served. It will please you to know that it is possible to make coated peanuts at home for your own relishing. Here is a simple recipe for coated peanuts.
- 1 cup peanuts/groundnuts
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon powdered black pepper
- 1 teaspoon powdered pepper
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup caster or superfine sugar
- Cooking oil
- 1 cup pastry flour
- ½ tea spoon salt
- 1 or 2 eggs
- Boil water in saucepan over high heat. Put in peanuts and allow to boil for about 3 minutes.
- Strain boiled peanuts and spread out on a baking tray to dry.
- Beat eggs and pour over dried peanuts in baking tray.
- Whisk half of the flour, sugar, nutmeg, baking powder, powdered pepper and powdered black pepper, and pinch of salt.
- Pour the mixture onto the coated peanuts. Gently mix them together.
- Spread out the eggs and mixture coated peanuts and coat a second time with the remaining flour.
- Heat oil in deep frying pan over medium heat. After the oil heats up, gently put in some of the peanuts and stir till they become brown.
- Fetch them out of the oil with a straining ladle into a lined colander and fry the next batch till you exhaust the lot.
- Your coated peanuts are ready to be served after they cool down.
JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!
Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or: