The National Petroleum Authority has revealed that the gas explosion which occurred at a gas station in La was caused by irresponsible human error.
Chief Executive Officer of the NPA, Mr. Moses Asaga, explained that two bolts which should have tightened the lid on the gas tanker were missing.He told Accra-based Joy FM Friday that the pressure of the fully loaded gas tanker was forced out 'like a missile' causing the explosion.
ASP Afia Tenge, Greater Accra Regional Public Relations Officer of the Ghana Police Service, has given an update on Thursday's gas explosion.
“We have identified 42 persons who have sustained various degrees of injury and are receiving treatment at the hospitals.
"We have 27 at the 37 Military Hospital, three at the police hospital, six at the La Polyclinic and six at the Korle Bu Teaching Hospital. Five have also passed on and have been deposited at the Police Hospital morgue,” she said.
According to ASP Tenge, the police cannot confirm if there are more bodies inside the station.
Afia Tenge also advised the general public to stay away from the epicentre of the gas station.
According to the police, they have received information from the Ghana National Fire Service that the area remains unsafe for humans and as such the public needs to be far from the station as possible.
There are reports that family members and friends of those who worked at the station are trooping there in a frantic search for answers about the whereabouts of their loved ones.
In June 2015, a fire at a petrol station at the Kwame Nkrumah Interchanged claimed the lives of 150 people.