- The nature of the win captured the attention of the boxing industry, with a DAZN commentator saying "a new star is born."
- Mayweather Promotions CEO Leonard Ellerbe, who represents a rival of Garcia's, was also impressed.
- Garcia advanced his professional record to 20 wins (17 KOs), unbeaten, and you can watch his devastating KO of Francisco Fonseca below.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories .
A 21-year-old American bounced his opponent's head off the canvas with a left hook knockdown on Friday, and the boxing industry is saying "a new star is born."
Golden Boy Promotions phenom Ryan Garcia has long been touted as a poster boy for boxing.
The Californian looks like a baby-faced assassin, has blisteringly fast hands, and, on February 14 at the Honda Center in Anaheim, showed the world that highlight-reel power lurks within his gloves.
In the very first round of a fight against Francisco Fonseca, Garcia needed only a handful of punches to end the fight, and the shot that closed the show was a single left hook that landed plush on the side of the chin.
As Fonseca fell, with his head bouncing off the canvas and his arms in the air, Garcia performed a cut-throat gesture before nonchalantly walking to a neutral corner.
The fight was over. He had won.
Watch the knockout here:
Here's another angle:
The bout was broadcast on DAZN in the United States and fight commentator Sergio Mora later tweeted that "a new star is born."
Mayweather Promotions CEO Leonard Ellerbe, who represents Gervonta Davis, a lightweight rival of Garcia's, was also impressed .
Garcia's victory sees his flawless record as a professional fighter move to 20 wins (17 KOs), unbeaten.
- The best mattresses
- Manny Pacquiao has signed with Paradigm SM, an agency which also represents Conor McGregor
- Jorge Masvidal would be the ultimate bare-knuckle brawler and 'would take some guys apart,' BKFC boss David Feldman says