AngloGold Ashanti asks for troops protection for workers after attack

The government withdrew the military from the mine on Tuesday, 2 February, after an initial incursion on 30 and 31 January 2016 by illegal miners.

 

Mining giant, AngloGold Ashanti (AGA) has asked for troops protection in Obuasi following an attack by illegal miners on workers of the company that resulted in the death of the Communications Director of the company,Mr John Owusu.

READ MORE

No reason was given for the redrawal.

"The onus for ensuring safety and security of individuals and property in any country, and therefore restoring safety and security to the site, lies with the authorities," AGA said in a press statement.

Mines in Ghana are protected by the military following a Memorandum of Understanding between the Ghana Army and the Chamber of Mines, on behalf of its members.

The company said it has withdrawn all "employees performing non-essential functions from its Obuasi Gold Mine, following the incursion of hundreds of illegal miners inside the fenced operational areas of the site since 5 February 2016."

A conditional Investment Agreement between AGA and Randgold Resources Limited was terminated by the latter in December last year, saying it does not " Meet the company's criteria".

Although AngloGold Ashanti and Randgold  agreed on works towards improving returns of the project and also secure an appropriate set of consents from the Government, initial feasibility studies discouraged Randgold from proceeding with the deal.

JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!

Unblock notifications in browser settings.

Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or:

Email: eyewitness@pulse.com.gh