15-year-old boy butchered by suspected Fulani herdsmen despite his plea for mercy

A 15-year-old boy has been butchered with his left hand cut off and placed on his chest by persons suspected to be Fulani herdsmen at Nhyiaeso in the Ananekrom Electoral Area of the Asante Akyem North District, Ashanti Region.

File photo

Residents have called for security intervention to avert further loss of lives.

According to reports, the deceased teenager identified as David Anariya, together with his two junior brothers had gone fishing in a small stream near Nhyeaso, a farming cottage.

Brother of the deceased recounted that one of yet-to-be-identified Fulani men started beating him while he kept begging for forgiveness.

He added that the man later pulled a cutlass and butchered the little boy.

His helpless two siblings ran home to narrate their ordeal to their family. By the time some family members got to the scene, the boy had been murdered heartlessly.

An official Police complaint has been made at the Agogo District Police Command while the body has been sent to the mortuary for preservation, Starrfm.com.gh reports.

Residents of the Nhyeaso Community fear the Fulani men may invade the area and destroy their crops if they are not driven away by security officials.

They attribute the attempts by the herdsmen to enter their community to dry weather which makes it difficult for them to get grass to feed their cattle.

Meanwhile, Chairman of Municipal Security Council (MUSEC) for Asante Akyem North Francis Oti Boateng is reported as saying the suspects have been arrested.

"The situation is under control because the suspects have been captured and further details to ensure proper prosecutorial processes to put the suspects behind bars to deter recurring of such acts”.

The three suspects are identified as Umaru Mohamed, 24, Major Gariba, 28, and Mohamed Umaru, 23 who are in police custody assisting with investigations.

"On Monday afternoon, the victim together with his two brothers were drawing water from a stream at Nhyiaeso, then the suspects from nowhere unleashed their cutlasses on them but luckily enough two of the three victims ran leaving the eldest [deceased] behind who was left at the mercy of extreme cutlass wounds and bled to death,” Francis Oti Boateng recounted.


Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or:

Email: eyewitness@pulse.com.gh