ADVERTISEMENT

University of Ghana’s Commonwealth Hall Tower catches fire

A fire broke out at the University of Ghana's Commonwealth Hall, damaging one of its towers on Tuesday, June 4, 2024.

University of Ghana’s Commonwealth Hall Tower catches fire

The blaze, which erupted due to electrical faults, was eventually extinguished by the Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS).

John Dumelo, actor and NDC parliamentary candidate for the Ayawaso West Wuogon constituency was among the first to arrive at the scene after hearing about the incident. In an interview with Radio Univers, the campus-based radio station, Dumelo confirmed that in an engagement with the firefighters, they said fire was caused by electrical issues.

The Ayawaso West Wuogon MP Lydia Alhassan also wrote on Facebook “The timely intervention by the Ghana National Fire Service is commendable here at Commonwealth Hall (Amphitheater), where the place has been gutted by fire. The swift intervention by the Hall Tutor and Management is worth mentioning.”

ADVERTISEMENT

The GNFS faced significant challenges due to the lack of advanced firefighting equipment, but their efforts were commendable. Using tables and scaffolds to reach the higher floors, they managed to contain and extinguish the fire, preventing it from spreading further.

Despite the dramatic scenes and the partial damage to the tower, no casualties were reported. This was confirmed by the University's Radio Station, Radio Univers, which provided live updates on the situation via social media.

Their initial post on X (formerly Twitter) read:

"Just In: Commonwealth Hall tower is in flames. The Ghana National Fire Service are currently at the scene trying to contain the fire."

ADVERTISEMENT

Following the successful efforts to put out the fire, they later posted;

"The moment the Fire Service firefighters reached the tower to completely extinguish the fire after they used their individual brilliance. Tables and scaffolds aided them to reach the height. The tower is partially damaged. No casualties recorded."

The University of Ghana community is now left to assess the damage and begin the process of repairing the iconic hall tower.

JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!

Unblock notifications in browser settings.
ADVERTISEMENT

Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or:

Email: eyewitness@pulse.com.gh

ADVERTISEMENT