Doctors are making efforts to figure out the circumstances that caused a 7-year-old boy to sleep for 11 successive days.

According to, the little boy from Elizabethtown, Kentucky, recently woke up from an 11-day slumber that left doctors scratching their heads. When he finally woke up, the second-grader had trouble speaking and moving around, but has since made good progress and is expected to make a full recovery.

READ MORE: This 43-search

Wyatt had attended his aunt’s wedding ceremony and was apparently tired, hence his mother, Amy, expected him to sleep in the next day, but she never imagined that it would take 11 days for him to finally wake up.

She tried waking him up several times, but Wyatt just couldn’t stay awake, and even though he sometimes opened his eyes, he was almost unconscious.

His mother, Amy Thompson recounts moments at the wedding ceremony prior to the son’s bizarre sleep that “He was awesome, he stole the show. He stole the last dance — he took the bride away from the groom.”

“Monday, I tried to wake him up, and he fell back to sleep. I’d say, ‘Wyatt, Wyatt, Wyatt!’ And he fell back to sleep again. It was horrible.”

READ ALSO: Prisoner on death row eats an entire bible as his last meal before his execution

Sensing danger, Amy Thompson took him to a doctor, who immediately sent them to Norton Children’s Hospital in Louisville, where the boy continued to sleep for 10 straight days.

Doctors initially suspected a virus or bacteria, since the boy had apparently complained of stomach pain and headaches before falling into the deep sleep, but medical tests proved their suspicions wrong.

Speaking to USA Today, Amy Thompson said Wyatt “was just having electric misfires in his brain and it was just causing him to stay in a constant sleep,” so doctors used new medication usually used for helping with seizures to wake him up, and after 11 days, the boy finally came out of his unusual sleep.

READ ALSO:Scandal: Drunk school principal defecates in front of studentsstudents

Initially when he finally woke up, the boy could neither move nor speak, but with the help of the medical staff and the support of his family, he is recovering speedily. Though he still has problems speaking some words and can only walk with the help of his mother, he is improving every day.