CID takes over probe into police shooting an 'innocent' man
The Acting Inspector General of Police, John Kudalor has directed the Criminal Investigations Department to take over investigations into circumstances that lead to a mistaken shooting of a man in Aladjo in Accra.
RELATED: Two shot dead by Police
"The police officer whose actions caused those fatalities has been detained in accordance with police regulations.
"Investigations under the leadership of the regional Crime Officer has been initiated into the incident, the Public Relations Officer (PRO) of the Greater Accra Regional Police Command, Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) Afia Tenge said this at a news conference on Thursday.
The Accra regional police has subsequently paid a visit to the deceased family to commiserate with them.
ASP Afia Tenge has told Accra-based Joy FM, that the police have transferred the case to the CID.
"When the police engage in an operation like this and an innocent life is lost in the process, some of these issues would be given to the individual complaints Commission for them to handle," she said.
The police had earlier indicated that the deceased was shot because he was resisting arrest.
But the family of the deceased have come out strongly to deny the allegations.
They indicate that their relative is innocent and not an armed robber as earlier reported.