Ingredients for waakye
Try waakye with chicken stew, fried plantain and steamed cabbage
Pulse daily DIY recipe teaches prospective chefs how to prepare healthy, Ghanaian dishes in a simple way.
- Cups of Brown rice
- Cups of red beans
- Millet stalks
- Remove all unwanted particles in the beans must be removed, washed and soaked overnight to reduce the cooking time.
- Boil beans in a large saucepan with enough water.
- Wash millet stalks quickly and add to the boiling beans.
- Carefully examine the brown rice if is free from husks and stones.
- Wash the brown rice, drain all water and remove the millet stalks before adding the rice to the beans when its soft.
- Add water to the mixture depending on how soft you want it and cover to cook.
- Add salt and stir.
>>>Click here for Ghanaian chicken stew recipe
Ingredients for fried plantain
- Ripe plantain
- Cooking oil
- Peel ripe plantain and cut in cubes.
- Add water to plantain and sprinkle salt.
- Heat a pan with vegetable and diced plantain.
- Deep fry till golden brown, 5-7 minutes; transfer fried plantains to paper towel to drain excess oil. Set aside in a warm place.
Ingredients for steamed cabbage and carrots
- chopped cabbage
- Carrots grated
- Onion chopped
- Garlic clove chopped
- Scotch bonnet
Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or: