Hardly do you find someone holding a glass of water when they say, “Let’s drink to health.” Ironically, water is the only drink that literally makes you healthier the more you drink it.
It goes without saying that the quality of the water should be just as important as the quantity. You will be surprised by just how much good drinking enough quality water can do to your body.
First, I’ll remind you about why you need to drink a lot more water, especially if you are not getting the recommended 8 glasses a day. Then, I’ll suggest fun ways to make sure you are drinking enough water every day.
Why do you need more water?
- You will survive longer without food than you will water. Water makes up more than two thirds of human body weight, and without water, we would die in a few days.
- Mild dehydration is also one of the most common causes of daytime fatigue. If you feel tired all the time, you probably aren’t drinking enough water.
- Your body will shut down if you consistently deprive it of water. The body cannot work without water, just as a car cannot run without gas and oil.
- Water serves as a lubricant in digestion and almost all other body processes. Even our eyeballs need plenty of lubrication to work well and remain healthy.
- Water regulates body temperature. No other drink regulates the body's cooling system better than water. If you drink 12 ounces of plain water, your body will absorb 8 ounces of it within 15 minutes.
- Water removes harmful toxins from the body. Drinking enough water will lessen the burden on the kidneys and liver by flushing out waste products.
- Water transports valuable nutrients to the body. Blood is about 92% water and it carries nutrients and oxygen throughout the body. Nutrients from the food we eat are broken down in the digestive system where they become water-soluble, which means they are dissolved in water.
- Water also plays a key role in the prevention of disease. Once you are drinking enough water, your immune system is better equipped to fight against diseases.
Now these are only a few reason why you need to drink more water.
How do you actually get to drinking more water?
- Check if it is thirst or hunger, drink water first if you feel hungry.
- Stop drinking all other drinks. If you are someone who likes to have a soft drink with your meals, maybe it’s time you trying drinking just water when eating.
- Add a little flavour to your water, you can try lemon and cucumber slices. You can also add a frozen fruit.
- Get a water bottle, carry it along wherever you go and remember to refill it when it gets empty.
- Drink cold water, a lot of people enjoy water cold and so you are more likely to drink more water without noticing it if it is served cold.
- Drink water through a straw, straws can help you drink faster and a lot more water.
- Drink some water after you use the washroom.
- Set an alarm for drinking one glass of water every hour, this will most likely get you the recommended 8 glasses a day.
By Eyram Kuwornu