One week on from MP's killing - what we know

It's been a week since Ghanaians woke to the news that Joseph Boakye Danquah Adu was dead. The past seven days have seen arrests and speculations over the MP's death. outlines what we know so far.

A week ago, Ghanaians woke to the news that Joseph Boakye Danquah Adu was dead.

Seven days after the news broke of the MP's death a 19 year old has been charged with murder.

Between those first reports of the death, and the news of the murder charge, there has been many developments and plenty of speculation.

Early reports said Danquah been shot in his home, but as dawn turned into day, news that the Abuakwa North MP had been stabbed came to light.


Feelings of shock, horror and outrage swept the nation.

A reporter went to the scene of the crime – the MP's Shiashie residence, as soon as the news broke.

Our reporter was one of many converging on the house. There were police investigating and politicians commiserating.

A security man from the house said he had not seen anyone enter the house, he pointed out a ladder that went up to the MP's window, speculating it was used to climb into Danquah's bedroom.

The security guard said he called the police when he realised someone had unlawfully entered, and called out to another security man at the house opposite.


Politicians at the house told they were in shock at what they had heard about their colleague.

Acting chairman for NPP Freddie Blay was visibly shaken stating the news was a “very big shock”.

“It's a very unfortunate situation.”

NPP's Papa Owusu Ankomah said those responsible for the death will be caught.

While fellow politician Yaw Osafo Marfo, also at the scene, said "what has happened is horrific. It is a total disaster; but let's leave it to the police".


The police CID took over the house and a forensic team was brought in to gather evidence.

Five people were initially arrested, including a security person and two female house helps.

The Accra Regional Police Public Relations Officer, ASP Afia Tenge, said they arrested two women and three men, including a private security guard who was at the residence when the MP was killed.

According to ASP Afia Tenge, the police had a distress call at 1.25 am on Tuesday, adding that "on arrival, the police found the victim in a pool of blood and rushed him to the Police hospital but was pronounced dead on arrival."

She said preliminary investigations indicated that the victim suffered multiple stab wounds which caused his death.


The others arrested were reported to all be residents of the house but the police did not give further details about their identity.

Since then, three of the suspects were reported to be bailed but police then arrested their prime suspect, Daniel Asiedu, 19. He was caught by police last Thursday. Media have reported that suspect was sent to the crime scene on the weekend to crime scene to simulate how he committed the act.

Asiedu  has now been charged with murder, and appeared before the court in Accra on Tuesday, 16 February, exactly a week after the death.

The police charge sheet was supplied to In it, police said Asiedu is a school dropout and confessed to the crime. The police listed him as living with his girlfriend at Agbogloshie, and said he went to the room of Danquah's armed with a cataput, sharp knife and a cutter. The charge sheet said Asiedu entered the house through an iron fence, out of sight of the security man who was asleep.

Asiedu is said to have used a ladder to climb into Danquah's room, and started searching the MP's room, who then woke up and struggled with the suspect.


The charge sheet said Asiedu stabbed Danquah twice, and left with two iPhones and a tablet.

The charge sheet also noted security guards in the area called the police, but when they arrived Danquah was dead.

On the weekend, the private security guard who was at the house was granted police enquiry bail.

Family have also spoken out on the death over the past week.

According to Kwaku Solomon, a nephew of the late JB Danquah, the police should move beyond the arrest to establish the motive and also identify any other accomplices to face the law.


“We have a mixed reaction now, we are sad and at the same time happy but it will be our joy that the real suspects will be brought to book and we will be happy to see them rot in jail,” he told Adom FM.

The week has also seen wild speculations about people involved in the death.

Presidential staffer, Stan Dogbe has been accused of ordering the killing of the MP; an allegation he has vehemently denied and condemned.

The police on Saturday asked the public to disregard such information because Mr. Dogbe was not involved in the case.

Speculations also includes whether there was a contract for the MP's death. In an in depth feature, this very notion was examined.


The police are still investigating this death, and like has been keeping readers updated over the past seven days on it, we will continue to do so as we learn more.


Unblock notifications in browser settings.

Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or: