Is your blender trying to kill you?
The next time you’re in the mood for a delicious post-workout smoothie, maybe just reach for a banana instead—unless you want to risk having your face melted off by your NutriBullet.
Several people have come forward recently to report that their NutriBullets have malfunctioned in some way and exploded, causing severe injuries.
A recent report on Australian news show Today Tonight Adelaide highlighted some of those stories, and they’re pretty grim: Everyone involved says they were blending up room temperature ingredients when the contents became so hot that the container exploded and splashed them with scalding hot liquid, leading to burns. One man was nearly blinded by the incident.
London film director Richard Moore told the hosts of Today Tonight Adelaide that he was making a peanut butter smoothie when he noticed that the blades seemed to be spinning much faster than usual. Then, the blender exploded. “It felt like my hands were on fire,” he said.
And another man, San Francisco resident Pete Damiano, said he was nearly blinded while using his NutriBullet to make a mango sauce. He suffered from severe second-degree burns and is now suing Homeland Housewares, the creator of the NutriBullet.
He’s not the only one suing, either. A Brooklyn woman filed a lawsuit in January alleging that after removing the top from her NutriBullet in July when she was finished making a smoothie, the blended contents exploded and covered her in scalding hot liquid. And last November, a Florida couple sued after their house was damaged by an exploding NutriBullet.
Good Housekeeping reports that they’ve also received numerous complaints from readers about their NutriBullets. “The plastic part in the bottom that turns the blade completely shattered and sent my NutriBullet flying,” one reader wrote on the brand’s Facebook page.
The magazine points out that the NutriBullet manual does warn users not to use hot liquids when blending and also notes that over-blending can heat up the contents of the blending container to an unsafe degree. And according to Cosmopolitan U.K., NutriBullet has suggested the explosions are a result of counterfeit blenders being passed off as the real device.
However, Lori Andrus, the lawyer representing Pete Damiano, told Good Housekeeping that while NutriBullet might now be warning people about the potential for explosion, they haven’t in the past.
“Although the makers of NutriBullet are now advising consumers about the potential for explosions (thanks to a prior lawsuit brought by my firm), Pete Damiano's blender, and millions of other blenders already on store shelves and in people's homes, do not contain any warning,” she told the magazine.
Either way, be extra careful the next time you use your NutriBullet. A good smoothie isn't worth your sight.