Nigeria's IGP orders investigation into 'murder' of Ghanaian and Nigerian friend

Nigeria's Inspector-General of Police (IGP), Kayode Adeolu Egbetokun, has directed a comprehensive investigation into the suspected murder of a Nigerian man, Andrew Ochekwo, and the disappearance of two women, Ghanaian Afiba Tandoh and her Nigerian friend, Celine Ndudim.

The victims, identified as Celine Ndudim from Nigeria and Afiba Tandoh from Ghana,

The directive comes amid widespread allegations and counterarguments surrounding the case. The two women were last seen in April 2024 after leaving Port Harcourt for Aba, Abia State, to visit Ochekwo, a businessman they reportedly met through Facebook.

A statement from the Nigerian Police Force's spokesperson, Olumuyiwa Adejobi, confirmed the IGP’s order, highlighting that the Monitoring Unit is tasked with conducting the investigation. This unit is to look into the roles played by the initial investigative team in Abia State and the Force Intelligence Department's Intelligence Response Team (IGP-IRT). They have been given a two-week timeframe to complete their investigation and present a comprehensive report.

"The Inspector-General of Police, IGP Kayode Adeolu Egbetokun, Ph.D., NPM, has directed the Monitoring Unit to conduct a thorough and high-powered investigation into the suspected murder of one Andrew Ochekwo," the statement read.

"This directive comes amid the numerous allegations, arguments, and counterarguments surrounding the case, which also involves the disappearance of two ladies, Celine and Afiba after their trip to visit the said Andrew in Aba, Abia State, for which he was alleged to be responsible."


Harrison Gwamnishu, a Nigerian rights activist, has claimed that the two women were kidnapped and declared missing shortly after their trip. Following Ochekwo's arrest, human remains were reportedly found at his Aba residence. Ochekwo was later killed while being transported to Abuja, allegedly while trying to escape from police custody.

The IGP assured that the case would be handled with the utmost professionalism and integrity, urging the public and stakeholders to remain calm and allow the investigation to proceed without interference.

He also encouraged anyone with relevant information to come forward, promising that all information would be treated with the highest level of confidentiality.


The police force further extended appreciation to the public's cooperation and support and promised timely updates as the investigation progresses.


Unblock notifications in browser settings.

Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or: