There are various types of fasting including water fast and fruit fast. Whichever type of fast you choose, you must make sure you are well-informed about it before indulging in it.
In essence, fasting means abstaining from food and/or drink, or reducing the intake of food and/or drink during a particular period of time.
The general benefits of fasting include low blood pressure, weight loss and reduced cholesterol. Fasting, particularly for prolonged periods, may cause harm to some people, especially the elderly, children and people with certain illnesses like ulcer.
Always remember to talk to your doctor before you do anything drastic and pay attention to how your body reacts to the change in your diet plan. If you find that fasting is ideal for you, below are 10 other health benefits you can enjoy:
1. The body induces important cellular repair processes, such as removing waste material from cells
2. Intermittent fasting increases your metabolic rate
3. Blood levels of insulin drop significantly, which facilitates fat burning
4. Fasting can help fight inflammations
5. Intermittent fasting may enhance the body’s resistance to oxidative stress
6. Fasting intermittently can help reduce the side effects of chemotherapy
7. It can help improve several risk factors for heart disease such as blood pressure, triglycerides and cholesterol levels.
8.Fasting can help improve eating patterns for those who find it difficult to adhere to a correct eating pattern
9. It can improve brain function, because it boosts the production of a protein called brain-derived neurotrophic factor which triggers numerous other chemicals that promote neural health
10. Fasting can help clear the skin because with the body temporarily freed from digestion, it’s able to focus its regenerative energies and other systems.