Advertisement

We are happy with the numerous court cases - EC

___5703667___https:______static.pulse.com.gh___webservice___escenic___binary___5703667___2016___11___3___16___EC-Boss-Charlotte-Osei
___5703667___https:______static.pulse.com.gh___webservice___escenic___binary___5703667___2016___11___3___16___EC-Boss-Charlotte-Osei
The EC Chair, Charlotte Osei who made this known said the court actions are in the right direction because the rule of law must be respected.
Advertisement

The Electoral Commission (EC) of Ghana has said it is happy that aggrieved persons and political parties have resorted to the law courts to resolve any grievances instead of hitting on the streets.

Advertisement

The EC Chair disqualified 13 candidates including Dr Nduom of the Progressive People’s Party, Edward Mahama of the People’s National Convention and Nana Konadu Agyeman Rawlings of the National Democratic Party (NDP) over errors in the nomination forms they filed.

But an Accra High Court last week Friday ordered the EC to allow Dr Nduom of the PPP to amend the errors on his forms and resubmit them for consideration by the EC.

Advertisement

The EC has since challenged the ruling at the Supreme Court. Some Ghanaians believe that the many law suits will make the EC lose focus for the December 7 polls, and have therefore advocated for dialogue among the aggrieved parties.

But the EC boss has said: “It is proper for them to go to court. It is the rule of law, if you are not happy with the decisions of the commission, you go to court, you do not go to the streets so the commission is happy with that,” she told BBC Africa’s Akwasi Sarpong on Thursday, October 3.

She further stated that despite what appears to be the displeasure of many Ghanaians about her work she has no regrets accepting the offer to occupy that position.

“I don’t regret it, it’s not an easy job and it wasn’t meant to be an easy job,” she said.

Advertisement
Latest Videos
Advertisement