- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle just announced they will be withdrawing from "senior" royal duties and intend "to become financially independent."
- This means they will no longer receive money from the crown through the "sovereign grant" and they will both be eligible to earn a professional income.
- When the couple got married in 2018, however, they forewent a prenuptial agreement and merged their finances, which totaled a collective $30 million.
- Prince Harry's net worth is at least $25 million, which is made up of an inheritance from Princess Diana and an annual allowance from Prince Charles.
- Markle, a former TV actress, has a net worth around $5 million.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle announced they are working to become "financially independent" and will be taking a "step back" from the royal family in a statement shared on their official website and via Instagram post on Wednesday.
While the couple will continue "to fully support Her Majesty The Queen," they will no longer receive money from the "sovereign grant" provided by the treasury and they will be free to work professionally.
So, their lifestyle will effectively no longer be maintained by the crown but that doesn't mean they don't already have financing separate from it.
Before marrying Prince Harry, Markle was was earning close to half a million dollars a year starring in the USA Network drama "Suits," plus a five-figure income from endorsement deals and sponsorships. Money.com reported in 2018 that her total net worth was estimated to be $5 million.
Their combined net worth, however, is more than five times that. Prince Harry's net worth is at least $25 million (19 million) and as much as $40 million (30 million), according to 2018 estimates from Money.com.
Here's where all that money comes from.
- Here's how much money Meghan Markle and Prince Harry could need to maintain their lavish lifestyle if they plan on becoming 'financially independent'
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry plan to become 'financially independent' upon stepping back from royal life. Here's how much the British royal family is worth.
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry just revealed they're planning to take a 'step back' from the royal family and split time between the UK and North America. Here's where all the most prominent royals live.
DON'T MISS: Meghan Markle and Prince Harry just revealed they're planning to take a 'step back' from the royal family and split time between the UK and North America. Here's where all the most prominent royals live.