This follows a revelation the Confederation of African Football (CAF) made on Tuesday, January 8, 2019.
The Liverpool striker, 26, beat his team-mate Sadio Mane of Senegal and Arsenal and Gabon striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang to win the title.
The star after receiving the award expressed his excitement in winning the award, adding that, "I have dreamt of winning this award since I was a child and now, I have done so twice in a row."
Houston Dash and South Africa forward Thembi Kgatlana was also named the Women's Player of the Year.
Meanwhile, Ghana and Atletico Madrid’s player Thomas Partey who was also beaten by Mohammed Sallah found himself among the top eleven list of the best players in Africa for 2018.
These are five facts about Mohammed Sallah
• Mohammed Sallah has won the Player of the Year two consecutive times.
• He scored 44 goals for Liverpool during the 2017-18 season, helping the Reds to the Champions League.
• He scored two goals for Egypt at the World Cup in Russia.
• He has scored 16 goals in 29 appearances across all competitions for Liverpool this season.
• Mohamed Salah becomes the first player to win the award two years in a row after Yaya Toure, who claimed it four years in a row between 2011 and 2014.