151 Ghanaian immigrants in Libya set to return home

The Foreign Affairs Ministry said the return of the Ghanaian migrants from the North African country will be sped up with assistance from the International Organisation for Migration (IOM).

This was revealed by sector minister, Shirley Ayorkor Botchway, when she appeared before Parliament on Wednesday, 7 March 2018.

READ ALSO: Diamond Jubilee:

The minister said the return of the Ghanaian migrants from the North African country will be sped up with assistance from the International Organisation for Migration (IOM).

She said the IMO on March 5 2018 wrote a letter informing “the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Regional Integration about an upcoming evacuation and voluntary return of approximately 151 Ghanaians by charter”.

Ms Botchway noted that her Ministry has accordingly informed the National Disaster Management Organisation (NADMO) and the Ghana Immigration Service to stand by for the repatriation exercise.

This comes after government facilitated the return of some 127 Ghanaians from Libya last year following reports that they were being maltreated in the North African country.

READ ALSO: Corruption War:

These Ghanaians and many other African nationals were reported to have been subjected to inhumane treatment after spending huge monies to make the journey through the Sahara desert all in the hope of making it to Europe.

The latest 151 Ghanaian immigrants in Libya are expected to touch down in the country in the coming days.

JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!

Unblock notifications in browser settings.

Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or:

Email: eyewitness@pulse.com.gh