7 Moments in Ghanaian football that are way funnier than they should be

Pulse Sports has compiled seven instances in Ghanaian football that serious stuffs in football appeared funny.


This is laughable in a way how could a team blow away the chance to win their first continental trophy, because they had been told who ever score would die.

That was the sad tale of Hearts of Oak in 1977. The team had been made aware that whoever scores within the 90 minutes of play would die. Hearts of Oak created several opportunities and they intentionally wasted them, because no one wanted to score and end up dying. Anas Seidu even wasted a penalty that was awarded Hearts of Oak, so that game ended goalless and suffered a defeat in Hafia in the second leg of the 1977 African Champions Cup final.

It appears very funny, but that denied Hearts of Oak the chance to win their first major continental trophy. They needed to wait for the next 23 years to make amends by winning the CAF Champions League in 2000.

History that befitted the Guinness books of records was made in the F.A Cup match between Olympics and Okyeman Professionals in 1996, when referee J.K Montford woke up the following day after match to report that the match he officiated didn’t travel the full 90 minutes before he whistled for the penalty shootout. As a result of this the GFA called for a replay but Okyeman Professional who had beaten their more fancied opponent withdrew. The FA Cup was ridiculed over that decision, but the issue should have gone beyond the laughter.

Odartey Lawson assaulted a referee while playing for Gt. Olympics and he was banned by the Ghana Football Association. Some fans were happy about the player’s act and even laughed over it because they felt cheated, but on a more serious note it is an act that should not be tolerated.

In the ongoing National Division One League, a centre was spotted using a manual substitution board with jersey numbers written with chalk, instead of the electronic board. The news went viral on Twitter as people ridiculed the Ghanaian second tier league

Referee Kyeremanteng handled the Premier League match on Sunday, 11th March, 2012 against Aduana at Robert Mensah Stadium, Cape Coast but he was nearly beaten to death by fans of Dwarfs after taking a decision which proved to be right after television replays showed. Some people laughed over the beating because of certain previous decisions by Kyeremanteng that didn’t go down well with the fans. However, they forgot that life was at stake.

Asante Kotoko walked off the field in protest against a referee’s decision when they faced off Kpando Heart of Lions in 2005 GHALCA top four competition. It was a funny scene to see the late Jerry Asare who was the Operations Manager of the Porcupine Warriors incite the Kumasi giants to boycott the game.


Unblock notifications in browser settings.

Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or:

Email: eyewitness@pulse.com.gh