The eight members of the vigilante group, Delta Force, who were released by a Kumasi High Court for lack of evidence, have dared the Attorney-General to order for their re-arrest.

“If they want to re-open the case, we are ready for them,” Lawyer for the group, Matthew Appiah, told Accra-based Kasapa FM.

A Kumasi Circuit court presided over by Her Honour, Patricia Amponsah was forced to discharge the accused persons who allegedly aided the escape of 13 of their colleagues standing trial for assaulting the president’s Security Coordinator for the Ashanti region.

Explaining the decision the prosecutor, ACP Okyere Darko, said there was not enough evidence to support the charges levelled against the accused persons. He added that he had orders from the Attorney General Gloria Akufo to drop the charges against them.

But many Ghanaians have expressed anger with the development, with the Minority Leader of parliament Haruna Iddrisu describing the move as a travesty of justice.

The Attorney General and Minister of Justice subsequently said that it is not privy to the decision to drop charges against the eight members of the pro-NPP vigilante group.

READ ALSO: Passing judgement on discharge of Delta eight premature - Short

This was contained in a statement issued by the Ministry of Information.

The statement argued that that the Principal State Attorney in the case did not consult the Attorney General before dropping the charges against the accused.

Many have since argued for the case to be reopened but the lawyer for Delta Force members thinks otherwise.

“The advice from the A-G indicates that my clients were not the people that banged into the court room and tried freeing the Delta Force 13.In law when you are acquitted and discharged, it means you cannot be prosecuted again for same offense. But in this case because they (Delta Force 8) were not trialed but discharged and so if the A-G will come again and advice that they should be trialled because there is a new evidence to do so, it is within her right. But I am foreseeing that the A-G having authorized her representative in the region to discontinue the case will not come again and say that I have rescinded my decision. We know that there is no evidence against my client,” noted Lawyer Matthew Appiah.“The advice from the A-G indicates that my clients were not the people that entered the court room and tried freeing the Delta Force 13. If you look at the facts, in the opinion of the Police, the Judge was their priority and therefore wanted to prevent the Judge.

"The Police were concentrating on the Judge during the melee and so they couldn’t identify the people who entered the court room. Out of the eight that were arrested, three of them didn’t even come to the court – four of them came to the court. All of them were arrested at Fante New Town about four hours after the incident. The Police didn’t secure the court.

"On that day there were three Policemen at the court but about 300 people came to court. So the Police were lambasted and in their bid to save themselves from public ridicule and for everybody to know that they are working, and out of this desperation, they went on an arresting spree. So, from day one, we know that they Police don’t have a case against my clients,” he said.