The Northern Regional Police Command has said that the East Gonja crowd shooting incident could have been avoided had residents obeyed warnings by the police not to engage in any outdoor event.
Police say some of the victims were watching the football match in front of the old chief’s palace when the shooting occurred on Saturday evening.
Others were also dancing to traditional music in an outdooring event.
ASP Ebenezer Tetteh, the Northern Regional Police public relations officer said that his outfit had earlier warned the organisers of the public event against holding the programme after they had written to the police for police protection.
"Despite the advice, they still went ahead and that is what has resulted in the death of the young boy," ASP Ebenezer Tetteh told Accra-based TV3.
It is still unclear the exact reason behind the shooting incident but police suspect it is related to the long-standing chieftaincy dispute between the people of Kafaba and Kalampor.
Six of the victims who sustained serious injuries were transferred to the Tamale Teaching hospital for treatment.
There are 10 people currently at the Salaga hospital receiving treatment, ASP Tetteh added.
No arrest has so far been made.
Police and military personnel have been deployed to the area to maintain peace and order.